Help Brand new QNAP Drives locked for no reason Help

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
audi911
New here

Help Brand new QNAP Drives locked for no reason Help

Post by audi911 »

Hello everyone,
I have a ticket open with QNAP but they are not open 24/7 support so I figured I would ask here until they get back to me.
I have a brand new H1277XU-RP with 12X SSD drives in it.
I was preparing it to go into production (thank God this didn't happen in prod) and something weird happened which I cannot solve. I'll need an expert for this.
I had my RAID 10 all set up, my Windows PC saw the RAID, I was getting an error trying to create a VM to that volume I was being told that I had no permission to do so. So I rebooted the NAS <--This was where everything started to happen.

Originally, when I created my RAID10 I created it with SED (Secure Encrypted Drives) and I noted the password (I know it's the correct password). When my NAS rebooted it never came back online. I went to the site where the NAS was and it was stuck on "Booting Kernel". I tried to reboot it a few times and it failed, I finally was able to boot it by removing the disks (I never fully took them out so all the disks are in the same physical location before the NAS stopped working).

Since the NAS booted up I logged into it and the NAS told me it saw previously used drives and asked me if I wanted to Reinitialize or Restore Factory Defaults. I selected Restore Factory Defaults since the NAS told me it wouldn't do anything to the drives (there is no data on these drives they are brand new).

Now, the storage volume is locked and nothing I do can unlock the volume. I do not understand. About an hour ago, I would put the password in and it would say "Applying" and then would come up with a messaging saying failed to unlock the storage pool. I did some googling and tried to run a few commands via SSH but I have no success. In fact, I have no idea if this is relevant but after running these two commands now when I try to put my password I get an "Invalid Password"

Code: Select all

wget --output-document=res.tmp http://localhost:8080/cgi-bin/authLogin.cgi --post-data='user=admin&pwd=xxxxxx'

wget --output-document=res.tmp http://localhost:8080/cgi-bin/disk/device_info.cgi?sid=`sed -n -e 's/.*<authSid>\(.*\)<\/authSid>.*/\1/p' res.tmp` --post-data='todo=encrypt_action&OPEN_ENCRYPT_DEV=2&pwd=yyyyyyy'
Is my QNAP defective?
How do I completely wipe out these drives and get them back to their factory defaults?
Is it possible this QNAP is infected with some kind of crypto? I've checked there are no ransom notes anywhere and my entire storage pool is locked so I don't see any files. I doubt it's infected though.
The firmware on this QNAP is h4.5.3.1698
I am really frustrated this unit is brand new and it's giving me so much grief.

Any help would be really appreciated.
Thanks
audi911
New here

Re: Help Brand new QNAP Drives locked for no reason Help

Post by audi911 »

Edit: I also tried this (from another user on this board who was having issues I only got past step 1, step 2 didn't work
Ok here is the summary with help of QNAP support.
Reason of the problem was, the superblock of all encrypted volumes was bad (or maybe only the second flash area on the DOM).
To decrypt the volumes by ssh use:
1. get Passphrase
# storage_util --encrypt_pwd pwd={my_password}
2. unlock
# cryptsetup -v luksOpen /dev/mapper/cachedev2 ce_cachedev2 <RETURN>
audi911
New here

Post by audi911 »

Hello.
These are brand new samsung evo 870 1tb ssd drives
The nas will just be a file share for holding hyper-v vhd files virtual machines
Thanks!
audi911
New here

Post by audi911 »

Hello,
Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this.
I opened a ticket with QNAP on the 18th, we are the 26th and there is almost no advancement. I cannot believe that a company as big as QNAP has no support in the Western world.
More importantly, even if there isn't any support how it is possible that the engineers at QNAP cannot solve this problem? The drives are locked, the password is the correct password, the volume simply locked itself for no reason. When I put the password to unlock the volume it tells me "Applying" and then it fails to unlock.
Is there any way to do this via SSH? Has anyone ever encountered this kind of issue?
How does a brand new QNAP encounter such a fault?
Thank you very much, and I apologize for my frustrations.
audi911
New here

Post by audi911 »

Hello,
Just in case anyone ever gets this kind of error what solved my issue was replacing the drives and starting from scratch.
However, the answer is to format the drives using the PSID that is located on the physical drive. It is the 32 alphanumeric long string that is on the drive.
interfaSys
Starting out

Post by interfaSys »

audi911 wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:24 am Edit: I also tried this (from another user on this board who was having issues I only got past step 1, step 2 didn't work
Ok here is the summary with help of QNAP support.
Reason of the problem was, the superblock of all encrypted volumes was bad (or maybe only the second flash area on the DOM).
To decrypt the volumes by ssh use:
1. get Passphrase
# storage_util --encrypt_pwd pwd={my_password}
2. unlock
# cryptsetup -v luksOpen /dev/mapper/cachedev2 ce_cachedev2 <RETURN>
For future reference, this is for encrypted partitions, not SED drives.
interfaSys
Starting out

Post by interfaSys »

For SED drives, this should work: # sedutil-cli --setLockingRange 0 RW <replace with your password> /dev/<your drive>

Of course, it only works if QNAP uses our passwords as-is.

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”