Problem removing default administrator account

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
itooth
Starting out

Problem removing default administrator account

Post by itooth »

I have tried to disable the default administrator account log in method. I set up another log in user and password, but I can't seem to log into QNap with new credentials. Any suggestions. Thank you in advance!
Screenshot 2021-07-23 121328.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gibxxi
Know my way around

Re: Problem removing default administrator account

Post by gibxxi »

Make sure the new user you created is a member of the "administrators" group, and test your ability to log in to QTS with that account, prior to disabling the default account.

Personally, I think this warning message is scaremongering on the part of QNAP. Assuming your default admin account has a significantly strong password, and it's behind a NAT firewall, and your not advertising raw services or add-ons to the wider internet, this level of paranoia is a bit over-the-top in my opinion. Common sense with regards security makes more sense than knee-jerk measures like this. Your host router for example (which you can't change the username for in all likelihood) is more at risk of cyber-threats than your NAS. Additionally, I see this as QNAP papering over the cracks (i.e: their own security flaws with regards the QTS system) by offering up this advice as if it's some kind of 'fix-all' solution.

YMMV.
"Si vis pacem para bellum!"
NAS1: QNAP TS453-Pro (8GB, 4x4TB WD-Red Plus), NAS2: QNAP TS453-Mini (8GB, 4x2TB WD-Red).
itooth
Starting out

Re: Problem removing default administrator account

Post by itooth »

gibxxi,
Thanks for your reply. I will try your solution recommendation.
It seems to me that QNAP software engineers do not do their due diligence to make sure there are no security weaknesses in there software before sending out to QNAP customers. A lot of updates regarding security issues that shows me they are not very good in developing a secure product to begin with.

I only use my NAS locally and never access it via the internet. I am real paranoid about this. I even do not trust cloud services. They to can be hacked.

Thanks again for your recommendation and thoughts.

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”