Inconsistent results on Performance test tool

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
psvampa
New here

Inconsistent results on Performance test tool

Post by psvampa »

Hi everyone!

First and foremost I'd like to mention that English is not my mother tongue so I am sorry if my writing is not the best.

Then I'd like to know your experiences using the built in QNAP performance test tool. Did you run any performance test over QNAP appliances? Is the tool reliable?
I've got my TS-251D and i've upgraded up to 8GB with Kingston memories (2x KVR26S19S6/4). I've mounted 2 WD RED 4TB disks on RAID1 (2x WD40EFAX-68JH4N1). I ran several performance test and I always get similar results. Disk #1 always provides a SeqRead of ~400MB/Sec and 457iops while Disk #2 provides a SecRead of ~162MB/sec and 136iops.
Capture.PNG

I am a rookie on NAS so I lack of a lot of knowledge but according the disk specs (https://documents.westerndigital.com/co ... ed-hdd.pdf) I'd bet what's wrong is the Disk #1 results which seem to be even better than the optimal disk performance specs.

I cannot explain the reason why I am getting that difference. Both disks are new (less than a month). I also ran a health test and both disks seems to be OK (no errors/bad sectors found). Is there any good reason to explain that huge difference?
I'd like also to mention that the performance difference could be "real" (?). While running large operation over those two disks, the Disk #1 always finishes first (2-3 times faster) than Disk #2. E.g.: while running a complete test looking for errors/bad sectors or a S.M.A.R.T. complete test.

On a different subject I am also investigating if QM2-2P-244A expansion card could be useful on my NAS to improve read/write performance. NAS usage is for personal usage, backup and cloud storage consumed by mobile phone, laptop and so on while I am out of my home. I wanted to improve it by using a QM2-2P-244A and 2x 2TB Kingston KC2500 sticks. Not sure how much could it improve and I do not know if built in Celeron J4025 CPU will be able to take advantage of that expansion card + NVMe modules.
I am not thinking on Network expansions because I will not improve my home network or ISP provider so more network bandwidth on NAS side will be not a visible advantage on the usage.

Thank you in advance,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”