Moving drives to another QNAP NAS

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
PenrithKK
New here

Moving drives to another QNAP NAS

Post by PenrithKK »

Hi guys, I have a TS-439 that I've been using for a lot of years with 4 disks in Raid 5 configuration.
The QNAP operating system is a bit faulty - won't virus check, can't install any apps, on restart the drives won't mount (I telnet in and manually mount them after a restart).

QNAP have been very helpful (gave me the command lines to mount the drives manually) and suggested I reset the QNAP to see if that sorts out the problem.

I have a spare TS-431 in a box that I've never used and would like to move the hard drives over to that to use while I sort out the TS-439 issues.
If I setup the new 431 with all the existing settings and then put all the drives in and restart, will it recognise the drives and Raid 5 array, or will it attemp to wipe the drives?

I don't really want to back up and then reload 4TB of files.

Thanks in advance for any help.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Moving drives to another QNAP NAS

Post by dolbyman »

asked and answered many times

https://www.qnap.com/en/nas-migration
PenrithKK
New here

Post by PenrithKK »

Thanks, much appreciated.
Morden2004
New here

Post by Morden2004 »

Unfortunately, the migration page does not address the issue of different levels of QTS on source and target, and if that might be an issue.

In my case I have a TS-421 which has hit the end of QTS updates at version 4.3.3 and I want to move the drives into a TS-453Pro which is operating with QTS 4.5.4.

I am concerned about what will happen when I power up that TS-453Pro with the drives from the TS-421.

Does anyone know what will happen?
Morden2004
brucemalti
New here

Post by brucemalti »

Morden2004 wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:03 am Unfortunately, the migration page does not address the issue of different levels of QTS on source and target, and if that might be an issue.

In my case I have a TS-421 which has hit the end of QTS updates at version 4.3.3 and I want to move the drives into a TS-453Pro which is operating with QTS 4.5.4.

I am concerned about what will happen when I power up that TS-453Pro with the drives from the TS-421.

Does anyone know what will happen?
Hi,
Any update on this topic?

Thanks!

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”