Raid is write only out of memory errors SMB wont start

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
cdxp01
New here

Raid is write only out of memory errors SMB wont start

Post by cdxp01 »

I am computer literate but have almost zero Linux experience

I have a Qnap 451+ 4 x 6TB drives that was not powered up for 7 months due to me being stuck in another country from Covid travel restrictions.
After booting up it seemed to work and did a firmware upgrade but because I have lights turned off after boot I didnt notice that one drive was reporting bad blocks. After a power cut I started a file check and observed that Qnap was reporting a bad block on 1 drive. The file check then completed fine .
I ordered a replacement drive but before delivery and after a subsequent power cut the system wouldnt boot. I use the HDMI as a console and was getting various out of memory errors . I have about 12TB of the available 18TB used .
What it appears to be is that the raid is degraded and I assume nothing can write to disk including the OS . I havent written anything to disk for 7 months its basically an archive now but I assume the OS has got out of synch across the 3 "good" disks and its decided to protect me.
If i boot with disks it crashes with out of memory errors and then sometimes throws me to a qnap login on the console but i cant do anything with that login. I have the new disk but since the system wont boot to the GUI i have no way of using it.

I've used the often discussed method of booting without disks and then inserting the 3 working disks . It boots fine without disks and I can log in once the disks are inserted .

I can run

storage_util --sys_startup
storage_util --sys_startup_p2
/etc/init.d/mountall

I can then cd to CACHEDEV1_DATA and see my files and folders.

but when i try to run
/etc/init.d/smb.sh start

It gives me pages of write errors because presumably the raid is write protected and SMB cant create the folders and files it need to work.

The safe option seems to be to copy the data off and start again with the new disk. However without SMB I dont know how to do that. Could i rebuild the raid with Storage_util. There seems to be an option but i cant find any instructions on using it.
Could i build a simple single disk system on the new disk , then insert the 3 disks and mount the degraded raid and copy off ? Can i stick the new drive in a USB housing and copy to that slowly via USB ?

Any suggestions appreciated.
holger_kuehn
Easy as a breeze

Re: Raid is write only out of memory errors SMB wont start

Post by holger_kuehn »

You can try WinSCP, as it uses the same protocol or at least SSH connections.
NAS (production): TS-1635AX FW: QTS 5.1.4.2596 build 20231128
NAS (backup): TS-1635AX FW: QTS 5.1.4.2596 build 20231128
QTS (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x 2TB Samsung Evo 860 M.2-Sata
Data (QTier): [RAID-6] 4 x 4TB Samsung 870 QVO Sata
Data (HDD): [RAID-6] 7 x 18TB Exos
RAM: 8 GB (QNAP shipped)
UPS: CyberPower CP900EPFCLCD
BACKUP: 10x4TB WD Red using a USB 3.0 Dock
Usage: SMB with rclone (encrypted)

NAS: TS-873U-RP FW: QTS 5.1.4.2596 build 20231128
Data (SSD): [RAID-10] 4 x 1TB Samsung Evo 860 Sata
RAM: 8 GB (QNAP shipped)
UPS: CyberPower PR2200ELCDRT2U
BACKUP: 4TB Synology DS214 FW: DSM 7.0.41890
Usage: SMB, Backup Domain Controller
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Raid is write only out of memory errors SMB wont start

Post by dolbyman »

also get a UPS asap..power cuts are never good for a NAS ..you seem to have plenty of them

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”