[TR-004 model] RAID + Individual mode ?

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
sueellen
First post

[TR-004 model] RAID + Individual mode ?

Post by sueellen »

I don't have a NAS, but I'm planning on buying the TR-004 and using it as a DAS. However, I will have to decide whether this DAS is for me or not, so I have a few question.

If there are three drives in the DAS that are pre-configured and running on RAID 5 (the DIP switch is on software mode). What will happen if you insert a single new drive (of the same drive capacity) to the DAS? Will QNAP add the new drive to the existing RAID array or will the drive be in individual mode that's separate from the RAID array?

Is it possible to insert a new drive (with data inside) and have separate access to it (without having to format) while other drives are running on RAID? Basically a RAID + Individual mode (eg: 8TB + 8TB + 8TB on RAID 5 and 3TB on individual mode)?

When using the individual mode, are you required to format the drive before you're able to use it? Is the individual mode only available through the DIP switch (hardware RAID controller)?

If the DAS includes 8TB + 8TB in RAID 1. Is it possible to expand the storage by adding a new 8TB drive and change the RAID level to 5 without losing data on the TR-004?
dolbyman
Guru

Re: [TR-004 model] RAID + Individual mode ?

Post by dolbyman »

The TR units are severely limited..so adding a drive to the raid is not possible, so not sure what would happen to the single drive

Try asking qnap via ticket
Bengel
Starting out

Post by Bengel »

Facing the same question/issue here. For which I'm about to log a ticket at QNAP.

The QNAP documentation (QNAP External RAID Device Software User Guide on page 15) defines the following, that when using the TR-004 in External Storage Mode:

Use the RAID enclosure as an external USB disk. This mode supports multiple RAID groups. Each RAID group appears as a separate disk when the enclosure is connected to a host.

Supported are, among other types, RAID 5 and Individual. Which is my use case scenario:
External Device Storage Management.png
One RAID 5 consisting out of 3 Disks and one Indivudual Disk (also shown on page 13 on the QNAP External RAID Device Software User Guide). The RAID 5 works fine. But the Indivudual Disk only shows up and allows no further configuration. As soon as you try any configuration, a screenpop appears showing a warning message:
Storage Config Warning.png
Only one RAID group is allowed on this device

The external RAID device already contains one RAID group. To reconfigure the external RAID device, back up all data, remove the storage pool or static volume, and then delete the RAID group.

This warning message is in contridiction with the QNAP TR-004 documentation.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bengel
Starting out

Post by Bengel »

Well I tried... But in my opinion QNAP Support fails to see the difference between multiple and one:
  • TR-004 Manual: Multiple RAID Groups are supported
  • QTS Error Message: Only one RAID Group is allowed
But also: RAID 5 and Individual. What turns out to be in practice: RAID 5 or Individual.

So either it's a bug or the information in the manual is incorrect. That would be something for QNAP Product Management to figger out.

For me it's was a nice to have. Eventually I will add a fourth HDD to the RAID 5 (that unfortunatly requires building it from scratch again) and not use the free bay for an individual HDD.

So I'm going to leave as it is and not futher discuss this with QNAP.

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”