Help with rebuild strategy

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
equ1nt1s
Starting out

Help with rebuild strategy

Post by equ1nt1s »

I'm looking to downgrade my RAID6 to RAID5 by starting from scratch, which as I'm aware, is the only way to do that.
Set up:
Storage Pool 1:
TVS-882:
2xM.2 500GB for cache in RAID0
2xSSD 1TB for QTier1 in RAID1
6xHDD 6TB for QTier3 in RAID6

Storage Pool 2:
TS-673:
6xHDD 3TB in RAID5

Yes, very/highly aware that staying with RAID6 is the safest thing to do, but I'm not doing business/mission-critical work and am willing to trade risk for storage volume.

My strategy is to put in 6x14TB HDDs in the TVS-882, move the 6x6TB HDDs to the TS-673, and use the remaining 3TB HDDs in a storage expansion unit. Where I'm comfortable with my plan in moving the files to the 673 in the new expanded RAID5 set up, I'm not sure how I'm going to remove the current QTier3 RAID6 without affecting the files/configs to then build those drives in RAID5. It should be fine using the SSDs to capture any system files/container app info as that's under 1TB, but will QTiering move the data off the HDDs to the SSDs so I can remove them?
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Help with rebuild strategy

Post by dolbyman »

So you want to start from scratch, but are looking to preserve the files and configs? You can't do one with the other, starting from scratch means restoring the files from backups

To destage QTier you need free poolspace, space that is not taken by snapshots or volumes.
equ1nt1s
Starting out

Post by equ1nt1s »

That's correct, I would migrate the bulk of the data over to the new expanded RAID5 in order to have no data on the RAID6 so that it can be removed and restored as RAID5. The question, there's ~21TB on the Storage Pool 1 with the RAID 6, if I move that to the new expanded RAID5 on the Storage Pool 2 which should now be about 27~TB, is QTier smart enough to migrate any remaining data off the RAID6 onto the RAID1 SSD space?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Always have your backups on a different system ..backups on the same unit will be unusable if the system fails

Qtier js transparent to the user..if you move all data off the volume(s) involved in qtier, the data on the fast tier(s) will be moved aswell
equ1nt1s
Starting out

Post by equ1nt1s »

If I have the space on the second NAS, could I just use a Snapshot to copy my primary NAS configs+data to the secondary NAS and then tear down the RAID6 in order to build the RAID5? Once complete, restore from the Snapshot?

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”