Write speed

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
mr-sail
New here

Write speed

Post by mr-sail »

We have several QNAP 459 Pro+ servers.

Now these are quite old but they have as far as I can work out a 1GbE port

Write speeds are 0.1gb/s (1/10 the speed of writing to a normal harddrive plugged into PC)
We have a raid 5 setup.

We have recently upgraded all the hardware (cables routers, switch etc) and the network should handle 100x this now.

Is these any reason why the write speed is to slow in setting of NAS.... we just want to get to 1gb/s (which I presume could 2gb/s if we changed to raid10)

I just want to check before we upgrade the NAS (although it is due)
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Write speed

Post by dolbyman »

What are the HDD models ?
What is the CPU usage during transfers ? (Malware ? if NAS is exposed to web)

if the max is around 100Mbit, one of the segments between NAS and clients could be limited to 100Mbit\s .. check all connection speeds
mr-sail
New here

Post by mr-sail »

All disks are TOSHIBA HDWN180
We have 10 PCs which are all new top spec.

Its very weird but I have just done a test and 8/10 seem to be running at 50-100gb/s on most.
Two are running at abnormal speeds @ 10gb/s so maybe malware or something wrong with the network. so will look into it..... thanks for help
Thisisnotmyname
Easy as a breeze

Post by Thisisnotmyname »

I'm unclear on your units of measure. I think it would also be helpful to know how you are testing.

you types 50-100gb/s which I assume is a typo. Did you mean megabytes per second (MB/s) or perhaps even megabits per seconds (Mb/s). Likewise 10gb/s I also assume is a typo as I think most of us would be quite happy with 10 gigabit/second transfers. Would you please clarify what units of measure you intended?

Second, how are you testing? Are you just looking at the speed in Windows explorer when you copy random groups of files? Are you using a benchmarking tool like black magic? Are you testing going via all the network overhead you have (e.g. machines on wifi or cables of questionable origin going through all the switches and hubs in the building) or have you directly connected a system to the NAS to eliminate all the other components?

Answers to those questions will help us offer advice.

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”