TVS-h1688x Low Transfer Speeds Across Network

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
Thisisnotmyname
Easy as a breeze

TVS-h1688x Low Transfer Speeds Across Network

Post by Thisisnotmyname »

As the subject says, this is on a TVS-h1688x
firmware is current QuTS (h4.5.4.1771)
128GB RAM

Read and write speeds are as expected when testing directly on the system (e.g. SSH into the box and DD some /dev/zero to files on the various pools). i.e. 4.0GB/s write against the NVMe array, 2.5 GB/s against the spinning disk array. Read speeds ~13GB/s against ARC and completely in line with hardware expectations when not cached.

When testing across network (SMB3 without encryption) with Black Magic and large sequential read/writes (5GB) the performance tanks. Write speeds struggle to reach 400MB/s. Read speeds against the RAIDz2 spinning disk array is around 1.2-1.3GB/s. Both read and write against the NVMe array is struggling to hit 400MB/s (sometimes low 300s or even upper 200s).

I've tried this across TB3 (QNAP TB3 expansion card) and against 10GbE (directly connected, no other network gear in the loop). Results are about the same for both (slightly slower on 10GbE but within the margin of error).

No background processes were running during these tests. No VMs running, no optional QNAP Qpkgs installed. 10GbE interfaces were set for 1500 MTU (it's not able to explicitly be set for the TB3 interface so that was using whatever the default is).

Other end of this test setup was a 2019 Mac Pro (24 core, 396GB RAM, using a TB3 bus with nothing else on it for the TB3 tests and the factory 10GbE port for 10GbE tests). This same box when connected via TB3 to a TVS-1282T3 gets expected transfer rates (i.e. in the GigaBytes per second range read and write).

Seems like the networking is a severe bottleneck on this unit but I'm stumped as to why. Ideas?
Thank you!
Bob Zelin
Experience counts

Re: TVS-h1688x Low Transfer Speeds Across Network

Post by Bob Zelin »

TVS-h1688X. Your QuTS should be installed on two SSD's or two internal NVMe drives (SSD's should be fine). You then create a thin provisioned single RAID group with all 12 7200 RPM SATA drives as Storage Pool 2.
With a 2019 Mac Pro, you should be seeing about 1000 MB/sec Read/Write on the TVS-h1688X. I have been building either TVS-h1288X or TVS-h1688X exactly this way for the last 2 weeks, almost every day for someone new, and it always gives great results with either AJA System Test or Blackmagic Disk Speed Test.

I assume you have static IP's assigned for the 10G port on the QNAP and on your Mac, and that you have Jumbo Frames enabled on both.

Bob Zelin
Bob Zelin / Rescue 1, Inc.
http://www.bobzelin.com
Thisisnotmyname
Easy as a breeze

Re: TVS-h1688x Low Transfer Speeds Across Network

Post by Thisisnotmyname »

Thanks Bob, I appreciate your help. System array is NVMe. My 10GbE test was done with 9000 MTU on both, and I statically assigned 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.2 to the two interfaces (I switched back to TB3 after that test though as that's my typical connectivity to that client box). Spinning disks (Ironwolf Pros) are RAIDz2 (RAID6 in QNAP parlance) and thin provisioned.

I had a call with QNAP support this morning and of course it magically behaved better with the aura of a support guy looking over my shoulder. When I did my earlier tests I purposely had the minimum services running on both the client and the NAS to try and eliminate anything else cannibalizing bandwidth but this morning I had my typical packages running (a VM going on the NAS and various processes running on the client box) and rather than 300-400 MB/s I got about 900MB/s; go figure. In any case, still well below the disk bandwidth direct on the QNAP and well below iPerf between client and NAS so they're looking into it. When I had this system connected to a 1282T3 I got a lot faster transfers, just hoping to get close to that again. If I can get what you're seeing (~1GB/s) I'd grumble a little but move on ;-) Any other ideas you have are very much welcome and I'll report back whatever QNAP's engineers are able to do.

Thank you!

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”