Questions about decreasing 9,7TB datavol with QNAP system folders

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
ApolloPT
Getting the hang of things

Questions about decreasing 9,7TB datavol with QNAP system folders

Post by ApolloPT »

Hello everyone,

I've a datavol with 9,7TB where there is system folders (homes from QSync included), a few shared folders, and a LUN, that I pretend to decrease it (80% free of space).

From an outdated post in QNAP documentation as expected all folders and LUN in that datavol will be affected, but my question is, taking into account the current datavol size, I am afraid of starting it with 1TB (for example) and have to wait days (or even weeks!) to finish it.

So I need some feedback from people that have decreased huge datavols, in how do you usually do in such situations.

Thanks in advance!
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Questions about decreasing 9,7TB datavol with QNAP system folders

Post by dolbyman »

So you have a thick or thin volume that you want to shrink? What do you need the poolspace for ? ..You want to create a blocklun?

I have shrunk a thick volume before, around 20 down to 15TB ..took minutes
ApolloPT

Post by ApolloPT »

dolbyman wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:16 pm So you have a thick or thin volume that you want to shrink? What do you need the poolspace for ? ..You want to create a blocklun?

I have shrunk a thick volume before, around 20 down to 15TB ..took minutes
Sorry I forgot to mention that, is a think volume. I've more datavols in this poolspace that need to be increased.

Nice to know it!
Thisisnotmyname
Easy as a breeze

Post by Thisisnotmyname »

if they are thin volumes you technically don't have to shrink them before increasing the others. It is possible to overprovision the entire pool (QTS doesn't care). Of course then users can continue to fill existing volumes with more data than you'd prefer and with only 9.7TB available you could fill the entire pool pretty easily. It's an option though.
ApolloPT

Post by ApolloPT »

Thisisnotmyname wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:35 pm if they are thin volumes you technically don't have to shrink them before increasing the others. It is possible to overprovision the entire pool (QTS doesn't care). Of course then users can continue to fill existing volumes with more data than you'd prefer and with only 9.7TB available you could fill the entire pool pretty easily. It's an option though.
I usually only use thin volumes in my labs, in production I use always thick.

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”