Keep getting "System was not shutdown properly"...

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
blasto
New here

Keep getting "System was not shutdown properly"...

Post by blasto »

Few days ago we had a power outage and our file server qnap ts-531x was not shutdown properly. But since then everyday at random intervals we get this error message and system goes unreachable for a few minutes. I think it is restarting services and connection is lost because of that. Also raid group synchronizes everyday.
Any ideas on what can be the reason for this error loop and how can we fix it?

Thank you.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Thisisnotmyname
Easy as a breeze

Re: Keep getting "System was not shutdown properly"...

Post by Thisisnotmyname »

It appears that the unit is actually power cycling. Are you positive you are not losing power to the device? Is it connected to a UPS?
blasto
New here

Post by blasto »

Yes it is connected to UPS and definitely running without losing power. While those logs are written unit can reply to pings. But it beeps after a while as if its booting up.
Thisisnotmyname
Easy as a breeze

I'd try putting it on another UPS with a different power cable to see if there's a mechanical or electrical issue causing power interruption for very brief periods of time (just long enough to cause a reboot). If that's not the case then you'll need to open a case with QNAP as it's probably an internal hardware issue (i.e. power supply failing).
blasto
New here

Post by blasto »

Well, UPS feeds many other devices and servers, none of them experience such a power interruption. I don't suspect cable and power adapter since the issue occurred after a power loss and an improper shutdown. Is there a way to check the system with a software utility or smth. else?
Thisisnotmyname
Easy as a breeze

being confident your UPS is behaving I'd open a ticket with QNAP. Could be a bad power supply.
blasto
New here

Post by blasto »

I think the problem is a well known issue of QTS 4.4.1 random reboot. I'll watch for few days more and if it continues than consider upgrading the firmware.

viewtopic.php?f=142&t=150707&start=675

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”