from "RAID type: single" to RAID type 1.

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
ealberti
New here

from "RAID type: single" to RAID type 1.

Post by ealberti »

Hi All,

I have a QNAP 453.
It is configured with
- Bay 1 and bay 2, 2 disks in RAID 1 (all ok),
- Bay 3, 1x disk with data on it. it is configured as "Storage Pool" "RAID type: single", 8TB
- Bay 4, 1 empty disk identical to that in Bay 3. 8TB

I wanted to migrate from "RAID type: single" to "RAID type: 1", but It does not look I can, so I would like to understand what I did wrong.

This forum provides provides this explanation (similar to an explanation on YOUTUBE):
https://nascompares.com/answer/upgradin ... id5-raid6/
QNAP1.JPG
From these examples, The disk is a storage pool -> one goes to Storage/Snapshots / click on "Manage" top right / the Storage Management window opens / click on "Manage", centre right / click on "Migrate".
Voilà.

In my case, the 2nd "Manage", the one in the centre right, is blanked out.
It appears the only thing I can do is to expand the Pool, and the only option I am given is in "RAID type: single".
QNAP.JPG
So, I blocked, because I understand if I go further with Expand Pool, I will create a single volume of 16 TB instead of a RAID 1 with 8TB.

Can anybody help me out in finding a way to migrate my "RAID type: single" to RAID Type 1?
Thanks all for your suggestions,
Cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: from "RAID type: single" to RAID type 1.

Post by dolbyman »

make sure that 4th disk is really free (purple status) and hasnt been used before (if so clear it externally) and try it again
ealberti
New here

Post by ealberti »

Hi Dolby man, the 4th disk is purple, and was initialized upon insertion in the bay.. maybe there is a specific setting I should I apply to it?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

hmm..not sure..if that disk is free you should be able to add this disk to the single to form a raid1

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”