Not sure how to get started, please help!

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
vampyren
Know my way around

Not sure how to get started, please help!

Post by vampyren »

Hi guys,

I have had a TVS-671 and upgraded to an TVS-h1688X.
I have added 6x16TB disks and 1xm2 (512GB) that i was thinking to use for the OS + APPs

Now i cant figure out how i'm suppose to do all of that.
I created a pool with the 6 disks using RAID6 so no issue. But where does the M2 come into picture.
I cant see any way to install even apps on the M2. I created a second pool for the M2 alone using RAID0 but not sure that is the right way of doing it.
I can use the M2 for cache but dont think that is the same thing. Also i read people saying it dont help all to much.
I use the NAS mainly for running VM, Plex, saving pictures and stuff (like random things)....

I was also going to add my old disks from TVS-671 into the new TVS-h1688X. I have 6x4TB from before. I'm hoping it will find the data in there automatically but not sure.
Any tips?

ps. I read someone saying for using the M2 for OS/Apps i need to remove all disk and start the NAS with only the M2. Is that correct?

Pss. After i copy over the date from my old HD's (6x4TB) i will remove the disks. I was thinking these 6 empty slots can be used in some years from now with bigger HD's to replace the 16GB ones (long from now). And so on....Swaping 6 disks at a time for each upgrade cycle.
Any thoughts?

Regards
Rex
vampyren
Know my way around

Re: Not sure how to get started, please help!

Post by vampyren »

Holly cow, i hope i did not destory all my data :/
I put my old HD's into the new NAS thinking it will recognize it but nope it did not.
Now i put it back into the old NAS and it dont see the data. I thought i could put the disc in any order but nope :(

I dont know if i get it but i tried this (using ssh) from viewtopic.php?f=25&t=128491
[/mnt/HDA_ROOT] # cat .conf

Code: Select all

QNAP = TRUE
mirror = 0
hal_support = yes
sm_v2_support = yes
pd_dev_wwn_5000CCA2A1D79D71 = 0x7
pd_dev_wwn_5000CCA2A1DD117B = 0x8
pd_dev_wwn_5000CCA2A1DC2BA9 = 0x9
pd_dev_wwn_5000CCA2A1DC72BE = 0xa
pd_dev_wwn_5000CCA2A1D89E5A = 0xb
pd_dev_wwn_5000CCA2A1DCC9A9 = 0xc
pd_dev_wwn_S2GMNCAGB02558V = 0x1
nas_capability = 0x1
pd_dev_wwn_50014EE2B756D559 = 0x5
pd_dev_wwn_50014EE2B758DC07 = 0x6
pd_dev_wwn_50014EE262063025 = 0x4
pd_dev_wwn_50014EE20E4E7879 = 0x1
pd_dev_wwn_50014EE263A3B7D4 = 0x2
pd_dev_wwn_50014EE2B758DB5A = 0x3
The lower part are the serials for my WD so i thought put the HD back in maybe starting with 0x1 as the fist disc from far left on the NAS

Code: Select all

pd_dev_wwn_50014EE20E4E7879 = 0x1
pd_dev_wwn_50014EE263A3B7D4 = 0x2
pd_dev_wwn_50014EE2B758DB5A = 0x3
pd_dev_wwn_50014EE262063025 = 0x4
pd_dev_wwn_50014EE2B756D559 = 0x5
pd_dev_wwn_50014EE2B758DC07 = 0x6
But still no luck.
Another funny thing is that now in the old NAS the login and password and even 2FA is not as it was before, all has changed to what i used on the new NAS. How on earth can that change!?!? its like twilight zone i feel :)
Any help is appreciated! is my data intact still? i did not do any operation on the discs.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

moving the disks over into an established QuTS might have been a fatal idea

Only QTS migration is supported from QTS systems into these new dual systems

https://www.qnap.com/en/nas-migration?o ... tvs-h1688x

Contact QNAP support to see what to do .. I hope you have backups (always have backups)
Thisisnotmyname
Easy as a breeze

Post by Thisisnotmyname »

With regards to your SSD and the system pool...

Provided the disks you start with are not an existing QTS pool (seems at least array was from the above) it doesn't matter what is physically in the system as you start this process.

To install the M2 drives you'll need to take the cover off the system (nine small screws on the back of the system then slide the black metal cover back about half an inch and lift it straight up). Once the cover is off on the right side of the system (while looking at the front) there's a fan assembly for the CPU/RAM/M2 drives. A single screw coming in downward from the top of that black plastic fan assembly secures it, unscrew that. Then there's a plastic tab to release it, it has a bit of interference fit with the CPU heat sink, give it a little force (carefully) and it will come out. Be cautious that you don't put undue stress on the wires for the fan, there's just enough slack to set the fan assembly out of the way without disconnecting but if it feels tight remove the cable header off the board. Behind where that fan assembly was you'll see the 2 M2 ports. Pull the tool-less pegs that secure the drives out, insert the drives into the ports and the pegs into the slot on the far end of the drives, then stick the pegs back into the holes on the board. Reverse to reassembly everything.

A couple other things: you only mention one M2 drive, get two and put them in a mirrored array (RAID1 in the setup screens although really it's a ZFS mirrored vdev) so you don't lose your system pool if that single drive fails. Also put heat sinks on those M2 drives, they get warm under load and slot 2 in particular doesn't get ample cooling (in my opinion) immediately, seems to let that one get a little warm before the fans kick.

Once everything is together then power up the system and make sure the first storage pool you create is the mirrored pool of your two M2 drives (if you followed my advice), that will then make your SSDs the system pool and improve performance. After that is done then create the other pool out of your spinning disks.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

If he moved the ext/LVM QTS disks to a ZFS QuTS system... will it work? (like a CAT1 legacy migration)

And I mean with the data intact..
vampyren
Know my way around

Post by vampyren »

dolbyman wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:35 am moving the disks over into an established QuTS might have been a fatal idea

Only QTS migration is supported from QTS systems into these new dual systems

https://www.qnap.com/en/nas-migration?o ... tvs-h1688x

Contact QNAP support to see what to do .. I hope you have backups (always have backups)
yeah i see the bullet that QTS is not supported. Although i still wonder if the data is there and somehow i can access it?
And even if its not compatible what did the new NAS do to the harddrives? (maybe hard to know)
If possible i really like to access the data....
vampyren
Know my way around

Post by vampyren »

Thisisnotmyname wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:45 am With regards to your SSD and the system pool...

Provided the disks you start with are not an existing QTS pool (seems at least array was from the above) it doesn't matter what is physically in the system as you start this process.

To install the M2 drives you'll need to take the cover off the system (nine small screws on the back of the system then slide the black metal cover back about half an inch and lift it straight up). Once the cover is off on the right side of the system (while looking at the front) there's a fan assembly for the CPU/RAM/M2 drives. A single screw coming in downward from the top of that black plastic fan assembly secures it, unscrew that. Then there's a plastic tab to release it, it has a bit of interference fit with the CPU heat sink, give it a little force (carefully) and it will come out. Be cautious that you don't put undue stress on the wires for the fan, there's just enough slack to set the fan assembly out of the way without disconnecting but if it feels tight remove the cable header off the board. Behind where that fan assembly was you'll see the 2 M2 ports. Pull the tool-less pegs that secure the drives out, insert the drives into the ports and the pegs into the slot on the far end of the drives, then stick the pegs back into the holes on the board. Reverse to reassembly everything.

A couple other things: you only mention one M2 drive, get two and put them in a mirrored array (RAID1 in the setup screens although really it's a ZFS mirrored vdev) so you don't lose your system pool if that single drive fails. Also put heat sinks on those M2 drives, they get warm under load and slot 2 in particular doesn't get ample cooling (in my opinion) immediately, seems to let that one get a little warm before the fans kick.

Once everything is together then power up the system and make sure the first storage pool you create is the mirrored pool of your two M2 drives (if you followed my advice), that will then make your SSDs the system pool and improve performance. After that is done then create the other pool out of your spinning disks.
Thanks allot. I have already put in 1 Samsung 950 pro in there but maybe its better to use 2 just incase.
Will give it a try once i get my hand on one more M2 :)
By the way cant the M2 be partitioned so maybe say half of it can be used for cache? seems its all or nothing.
Thisisnotmyname
Easy as a breeze

vampyren wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:29 pm By the way cant the M2 be partitioned so maybe say half of it can be used for cache? seems its all or nothing.
QNAP seems to have implemented a sort of ZFS-lite to begin with, it doesn't support all of the special vdev options that actual ZFS does. That may be just limitations of the UI or could be baked into their implementation - I don't know, I haven't dug deep enough to determine that yet. That's more than you were asking but to directly answer your question, "cache" (in QuTS' case that's L2ARC or both L2ARC and SLOG [on the same vdev only for the latter]) has to be on it's own physical device or array, it can't be shared with a data pool.
Thisisnotmyname
Easy as a breeze

dolbyman wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:10 am If he moved the ext/LVM QTS disks to a ZFS QuTS system... will it work? (like a CAT1 legacy migration)

And I mean with the data intact..

For what it's worth... I know QNAP explicitly states this isn't supported but I stuffed an array of SSDs into a new TVS-h1688x that had been pulled (and not wiped) from a QTS box. When I went to log in with the MAC address it failed. I tried various defaults like "admin" and "password" and such and all failed. Then out of mainly frustration I tried the password for the box that array came out of and it worked. Web UI came up after that but that's as far as I went. That probably just means it used the QTS partition off that array to bring the system up, I (very logically) expect that had I set up the system in QuTS and then tried to add that array it wouldn't have been able to read any data and for that matter I don't even know that had I looked at the data pool on that array I would have been able to read it (probably could have though). In any case I had just been using that because I had it around, the next day I put new drives in the box so that's all I know from that experience.
vampyren
Know my way around

Post by vampyren »

Ok so basically the data is gone :(
I do have some few month old backup i can use but i had done some big cleanup grrrr
O well i learn my lesson.
Thanks guys.

By the way i got 2 M2x512Gig for raid 1 as first pool for OS + app, works fine.

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”