SMART Test - Suspend (System Reset)

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
Thisisnotmyname
Easy as a breeze

SMART Test - Suspend (System Reset)

Post by Thisisnotmyname »

TVS-h1688x, latest non-beta firmware.

One of my spinning drives (Seagate Ironwolf drive) had a status result of "Suspend (System Reset)" from last night's scheduled test. There was an entry in the log with the same and no additional data (although mysteriously it did not show up in the notifications at the top of the web UI). My first thought was that the NAS had rebooted for some reason but uptime is longer than when this occurred and there are no restart messages in the log. I tried rerunning the SMART test from the web UI several times and each time it gave the warning about "this will take a minute" but then proceeded to do nothing, no task running, no updated result, nothing. It appears that QNAP doesn't have smartctl so I couldn't run it manually. I was starting to think the disk was dead (although the array is still up and not degraded) when I tried running the SMART test from the web UI one more time and it ran fine reporting good condition. That was a rapid test and I'm now running a complete test (also running fine now).

Is this just another example of flakey QNAP software? Any ideas? I may replace the drive anyway for insurance but I hate to waste a drive on QNAP bugs.

(yes I have full backups)
Thisisnotmyname
Easy as a breeze

Re: SMART Test - Suspend (System Reset)

Post by Thisisnotmyname »

Updating my own thread here. It did finish the full SMART test and the disk reports clean so it would appear that whatever happened was an issue of QNAP's making and not the drive's.

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”