Power outage, drive failed, replaced while off - inaccessible but pingable

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
andrewm123
New here

Power outage, drive failed, replaced while off - inaccessible but pingable

Post by andrewm123 »

I have a QNAP TS-431 which has been running fine since 2016. It has four drives -- two RAID1 arrays (one is 4tb, the other is 8tb). The other day we had a power outage.
When power was restored, my TS-431 was beeping and drive 4 had a red LED.
I logged into admin panel and it says drive 4 failed.
I shut down the NAS after a while, because the NAS kept beeping every minute or two and there's no way I was going to listen to that for the next 5 days until a new drive arrives.
For whatever reason I cannot remember, I powered the NAS back on, but the admin panel would totally freeze up and become unresponsive. I ended up shutting it down again, by holding the power for 5sec.

Today, the new drive arrived.

While the NAS was off, I swapped the failed drive with a brand new drive of the same capacity.

I've now powered it up and it's been 1.5 hours and the NAS web interface is not accessible, nor will SSH/telnet respond.

The first little while the Power LED was blinking green/red and now is just regular green. All four drives have blinking green LEDs. Though, drives 1-3 are only rarely blinking. Drive 4 is blinking constantly.

My question is: is it rebuilding the RAID1 array of drive 3/4? Or... is something else happening? I am of course concerned about what's happening as, being unable to access the web panel, I have no clue at all.
andrewm123
New here

Re: Power outage, drive failed, replaced while off - inaccessible but pingable

Post by andrewm123 »

7 hours later, still in the same state with power and drive 1-3 LEDs steady green, drive 4 blinking constantly, and NAS still unaccessible (and I can ping it still, just like before). I guess it's rebuilding the array... hopefully >_<
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

btw..always swap your drives hot ..(while the nas is on)!

If you can access the nas via ssh do

Code: Select all

cat /proc/mdstat

to check the raid status
andrewm123
New here

Post by andrewm123 »

Why always swap the drives hot? I see it written in a ton of places but never an explanation why...

Thanks for the tip for what to check if I can SSH in (haven't been able to thus far).

Unfortunately I still can't access the NAS and it's still in exactly the same state -- powered on, drive 1-3 LEDs always green, drive 4 LED blinking on and off steadily. A bit of the orange LAN LED blinking, but not much. /shrug

Is it likely there's something like some corrupted OS files that are causing the RAID1 rebuild to take an extremely long time? Is there anything else I should do other than just keep waiting?
Don
Guru

Post by Don »

Can you ping the NAS?
Use the forum search feature before posting.

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
NAS: TVS-h674 | F/W: 5.0.1.2376 | 16GB | 3 x 18TB RAID 5
Apps: DNSMasq, PLEX, iDrive, QVPN, QLMS, MP3fs, HBS3, Entware, DLstation, VS, +
andrewm123
New here

Post by andrewm123 »

Yep, can ping it still, just as before. Just can’t actually access any services. My attempt to SSH in just times out, it doesn’t refuse the connection or anything.
andrewm123
New here

Post by andrewm123 »

So.. I mean, it's been 20 days. I have no clue what to do, because this situation doesn't seem to be covered in QNAP's documentation. I can't connect to the NAS in any way, but I can ping it. Do I just keep waiting? Another 20 days? Do I pull the drives and .... reinstall QTS? even though I don't know what version was installed...
Toxic17
Ask me anything

Post by Toxic17 »

I suggest you contact QNAP for advise rather than waiting another 20 days, unless you feel thats an option.

what does QNAP finder do when you run it. does it find your NAS at all?

did you try a reset?

https://www.qnap.com/en-us/how-to/knowl ... -explained
Regards Simon

Qnap Downloads
MyQNap.Org Repository
Submit a ticket • QNAP Helpdesk
QNAP Tutorials, User Manuals, FAQs, Downloads, Wiki
When you ask a question, please include the following

NAS: TS-673A QuTS hero h5.1.2.2534 • TS-121 4.3.3.2420 • APC Back-UPS ES 700G
Network: VM Hub3: 500/50 • UniFi UDM Pro: 3.2.9 • UniFi Network Controller: 8.0.28
USW-Aggregation: 6.6.61 • US-16-150W: 6.6.61 • 2x USW Mini Flex 2.0.0 • UniFi AC Pro 6.6.62 • UniFi U6-LR 6.6.62
UniFi Protect: 2.11.21/8TB Skyhawk AI • 3x G3 Instants: 4.69.55 • UniFi G3 Flex: 4.69.55 • UniFi G5 Flex: 4.69.55
andrewm123
New here

Post by andrewm123 »

Toxic17 wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:15 am what does QNAP finder do when you run it. does it find your NAS at all?

did you try a reset?
Thanks, QNAP Finder doesn't see the NAS. My router does show the NAS as "connected" on the assigned IP, but that doesn't mean much..

I tried a reset but the Reset button doesn't do anything. I held it for 3 seconds, 5 seconds, 6 seconds, also tried "clicking" it. No beeps or anything. I haven't tried holding it for 10seconds though. I guess it's entirely possible I turned off the reset switch with this setting... https://www.qnap.com/en-us/how-to/knowl ... oesnt-work

I've also now filed a support ticket Q-202111-27579 for this issue, so guess I'll see what the support team says...
andrewm123
New here

Post by andrewm123 »

I've been discussing with support and thus far, upon their instruction, I powered the NAS off by holding the power button, pulled the drives, and started it up without the drives. The NAS does boot up and when I go to web UI, it shows "Hard Drive Missing" screen, instructing me to insert a drive to initialize. So... at least there's that? I'm awaiting their next instructions for what to do next...

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”