Move system to SSD

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
nchh13
New here

Move system to SSD

Post by nchh13 »

Hi,

I'm using QNAP 251B, 2 disk bays available with 1 8TB 3.5 hard disk used both for NAS OS and file sharing.

I have a spare 250GB SSD 2.5 SATA drive and have been thinking of using this to install the NAS OS just to increase the NAS performance and loading speed. My concern is the data I have in the 8TB disk. Is there a way I can install OS in the SSD but still have the data stored in the 8TB drive? Happy to do the file sharing again, just need to keep my data, and I have no storage to back them up.

My plan is:
* Backup the NAS settings
* Remove the 8TB disk.
* Insert the SSD in slot 1
* Initiate the QNAP OS on SSD
* Restore the NAS settings (?)
* Insert the 8TB disk for data, sharing might be configured again.

Any instructions are welcome. I found this article which is very close, wonder if anyone ever go through this successfully? https://jonktsui.github.io/blog/tech/qn ... em-to-ssd/
nchh13
New here

Re: Move system to SSD

Post by nchh13 »

Can anyone help, please?!
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

The system is installed on all memeber disks, so using an SSD as "system" will not speedup your NAS

I have a TBS NAS with 4x1TB SSD (SATA) and it is not much faster (bootup etc) than any of the spinning disk NAS anyways..so ultimately that plan will be futile

Also whatever you do prioritize backups over anything else
nchh13
New here

Post by nchh13 »

dolbyman wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:09 pm The system is installed on all memeber disks, so using an SSD as "system" will not speedup your NAS

I have a TBS NAS with 4x1TB SSD (SATA) and it is not much faster (bootup etc) than any of the spinning disk NAS anyways..so ultimately that plan will be futile

Also whatever you do prioritize backups over anything else
Thanks for the insights, mate! Appreciate it!

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”