Static Volume Expansion Options

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
tysmeister
New here

Static Volume Expansion Options

Post by tysmeister »

Hi,

I have a pretty basic question concerning adding an TR-02 expansion unit to an existing TS-251+ NAS. The configuration of the NAS is as follows:

- Single static data volume based upon a RAID 1 configuration using 2 x 6TB HDD

I have purchased 2 x 12TB HDD for the TR-002 expansion unit. In short I want to expand my storage capacity, whilst ensuring some redundancy via RAID.

I have some questions about the difference between the following options:

- Expanding a Static Volume by Adding Disks to a RAID Group; and,
- Expanding a Single Static Volume by Adding a New RAID Group

I am assuming with the second option that the new RAID 1 group can have 12TB capacity, which will give me an expanded static volume with 18TB total capacity (but at the risk that if one of the two RAID groups fails then the volume will be lost)

However, it is not clear to me what the capacity will be if I add the 12TB disks in the expansion unit to the existing RAID 1 group. Will this just create a RAID with maximum 6TB (size of the smallest disk) or 12 TB (size of the largest disk)? Does the selected RAID type have any bearing.

If I can have combined 12TB across the four disks then I would probably prefer adding disks to the existing group.

Thanks and regards,
Andrew
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Static Volume Expansion Options

Post by dolbyman »

TR units cannot be added to existing storage pools..so you would have to create a new pool on the TR ..check the manual for more info
tysmeister
New here

Post by tysmeister »

Thanks for the prompt response @dolbyman. The following documentation seems to suggest that an existing static volume can be increased by adding a new RAID group using disks in an expansion unit:

https://docs.qnap.com/operating-system/ ... D92F0.html
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

TR units cannot be used to expand RAID groups or pools

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”