Encryption on TR-004

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
mariachi76
Getting the hang of things

Encryption on TR-004

Post by mariachi76 »

Hi,
when adding a TR-004 Expansion enclosure (in a hardware Raid-5) to a TVS-872XT via USB, can I encrypt folders/shares on a volume located on the TR-004? Just as I can encrypt a folder/share on the volume on the TVS-872XT itself?
I do have several encrypted folders on the TVS-872XT and would like to back them up onto a volume on the TR-004 - but would like to have them encrypted too.

If that would work - and out of curiosity - would the raid chip on the TR-004 do that encryption, or would the CPU/Raid controller on the TVS-872XT perform that encryption?
Which write speed could I expect on in encrypted folder on the TR-004, if I had 4x16TB modern Seagate Exos disks in it, and connected via USB 3.0 to the TVS-872XT?

Currently, I use an old TVS-851 for backup, but the write speed of that old NAS into an encrypted folder is just too slow (25 MByte/sec). To backup 20TB of encrypted data takes around a week. So I am trying to find out if either adding a TR-004 to the TVS-872XT could be a better backup-option for encrypted backups. Or replace the old TVS-851 with a newer TS-873 which - according to a test I read - should be able to reach 250 MByte/s writing speed on encrypted folders.

thanks and best regards
mariachi76
TVS-872XT, 8x Exos 16TB Raid6, 2xCrucial NVMe 1TB
TS-873A, 8x Exos 8TB Raid5 for Backup
lonecrystal
New here

Re: Encryption on TR-004

Post by lonecrystal »

Hmm...Never heard raid chip on TR-004 can support encryption
BTW, if you connect TR-004 to NAS, it must be switched to software-control mode, so very likely that your NAS device will complete the encryption.

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”