[QUESTIONS] RAID 5 + hot spare configuration problems

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
P3R
Guru

[QUESTIONS] RAID 5 + hot spare configuration problems

Post by P3R » Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:26 pm

My friend wanted NAS advice. After telling him about my experience (mostly good) of my two TS-209 he eventually decided on a TS-409 with four 1 GB Seagate disks (ST31000528AS, I believe).

Per my recomendations he has tried to set up a RAID 5 + hot spare and has encountered numerous problems and is now close to returning the whole thing and giving up on Qnap.

Presently he has RAID 5 (drives 2, 3, 4) + hot spare (1) with read/write errors on drive 1 and drive 4 not reachable (?), furthermore the NAS is not responding to the web interface.

Soon it's my turn to have a go at it, lucky me!

Although it is on the compatibility list for TS-409, are there known problems with the ST31000528AS? I see many people here in the forum reporting read/write errors but it seems to be mostly WD. Are the Seagate ones just a matter of actually faulty drives or are those yet another firmware issue?

Anyway my strategy will be to reboot via telnet, remove all RAID volumes, test each and every one of the drives to establish if they are okay and hopefully get rid of error messages, and start all over with RAID-configuration. Any better ideas?

Would a Qnap format of the drives improve anything? Isn't that done automatically when creating the RAID?

Apart from that I cannot figure out the exact procedure to set up RAID 5 + hot spare. I have only TS-209 and the 409 manual is not clear so could someone please tell me how to do it?

As far as I have been able to find out from my angry and pretty much clueless friend there are two places where hot spare is mentioned:
1. Under SATA Disk, RAID 5 Volume there is a possibility to create a RAID 5 and assign a hot spare (this is what he tried several times).
2. Under RAID Management Tool there is a possibility to add or remove a spare drive (this he have never been able to do).

Is number 1 above enough should I first enable a three-disk RAID 5 and later use RAID Management Tool to add a hot spare?

I know it's a long post and many questions but please try to help as I would really like to be able to get my friend going with this and for him be as happy as I've been with my boxes.

QNAPJason
QNAP Staff

Re: [QUESTIONS] RAID 5 + hot spare configuration problems

Post by QNAPJason » Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:36 pm

Hi P3R,
1. It seems that the latest HDD firmware for this Seagate is CC35. Can you please check your friends' Seagate HDDs?
http://forums.seagate.com/stx/board?board.id=ata_drives

2. You can also run Seatools provided by Seagate to find out if there are actually HDD defects.

3. When you first setup the system and RAID, the NAS will initialize & format the HDDs. Either of the 2 ways to create a RAID5 + Hot Spare will work.

A Bad Block Scan is required when there's an error in RAID read or write. Therefore, to start from scratch, you can back up all your data, boot the TS-409 without HDDs and then start initialization again.

If you still have problem, please do not hesitate to contact our Tech. Support so that they can log into your friend's NAS to check what's wrong with it.

http://qnap.com/onlinesupport.asp

Jason

P3R
Guru

Re: [QUESTIONS] RAID 5 + hot spare configuration problems

Post by P3R » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:45 pm

Firmware was correct.

I tried setting up the RAID 5 and then adding the hot spare later which seems to have worked.

Thank you very much for helping out.

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”