RAID in degraded mode

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
speed57
New here

RAID in degraded mode

Post by speed57 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:55 pm

Hi all..

Having some issues with my new TS239 Pro.

Two 1TB SAMSUNG HD103UJ 1AA0
Current firmware version:3.1.1 Build 0815T

The issue, pulled out the HDD 2 out of curriosity (Hot swap???), and plugged it back in.
Now the RAID1 is in degraded mode, and I can't get it back to normal.

What to do?

Current Disk Volume Configuration: Logical Volumes
Mirroring Disk Volume: Drive 1 EXT3 915.42 GB 795.91 GB In degraded mode

Mirroring Disk Volume: Drive 1
915.42 GB Yes In degraded mode Please insert a drive of larger capacity and wait for the drive status to become Ready before executing this operation.

None of the buttons in the RAID managment screen works, and I cannot select any volume.

Appreciate any answers..

getprogs
Starting out

Re: RAID in degraded mode

Post by getprogs » Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:25 pm

Just guessing here, but I had to do a "bad block" scan on a newly inserted disk before the RAID could repair itself - this was done on the first menu below the disk management section (can't really remember the interface, but I guess you will find it).

Have you tried that? I had the same experience - the buttons seems to "not work" (feedback could be a little better).

BR;
Claus

QNAPJackyC

Post by QNAPJackyC » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:36 pm

Hi speed57,

If you plug out one hard disk, in normal, it will turn into degraded mode.
After that, you will hear two beeps from the NAS, then if you plug in the original one, system would rebuild into ready status.
Sometime user make a quick plug-out and plug-in within ten seconds, the system may treat this as abnormal.
So in the log system there is no event like "Drive 2 plugged in." It is always in degraded mode.
In this case, please do follow steps:
1. Plug out the Hard dsik once you have plugged out and in.
2. On "System Administration"--> "Power Management"-->Reboot the system
3. After system reboot finished, and hear three beeps
4. Plug in your original harddisk, system would do auto rebuild the raid system for you.
5. Wait for system to become "Ready" mode from degraded mode, you would hear 2 beeps.

Note: When plugging in or unplugging a hard drive, please strictly adhere to the following rules
to avoid abnormal system operation or data crash.
1. Plug in only one drive to NAS or unplug only one drive from NAS at one time.
2. After plugging in or unplugging a hard drive, wait for about ten seconds or longer until you
hear two beeps from the NAS. Then unplug or plug in the next hard drive.

speed57
New here

Post by speed57 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:13 am

Thanks Jacky! That did the trick, rebuilding now. :)

I have tried to have the disk unplugged for a while, but never rebooted the Qnap while it was out.

If I pull it out and in (even over a long time) the Qnap would not find the disk. A reboot is necessary, but again: no rebuild.

dsp
New here

Post by dsp » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:56 pm

i too have this exact issue today drive 1 went offline this morning and i have but a new drive in but its not detected, im going to try swapping the drives over 1 at a time

dsp
New here

Post by dsp » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:42 pm

My box does not detect any hard drive at all on bay1 i have tried rebooting, with drive 1 out and also with drive 2 in bay 1, nothing is detected so i think my bay1 sata port has failed

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”