Q-RAID 1, TS-109: sync not occurring automatically

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
ckamps
Starting out

Q-RAID 1, TS-109: sync not occurring automatically

Post by ckamps »

I've issued a customer service request on this problem as well, but if anyone has any input, I'd like to hear it.

* TS-109 firmware 1.1.4 Build 1207T
* Seagate 500GB internal and eSATA drives
* Q-RAID 1 configured
* Initial sync of 109GB of user data already done

Problem: Upon copying a 660MB file to the NAS server, I never see the same file appear on the external drive. Using ssh I logged into the NAS server and looked at /share/HDB_DATA/documents. Even a full 14 hours after copying the file to the NAS, I still don't see the new file appearing in the external drive.

Of course, restarting the NAS server forced a resync of the two drives, but obviously, that's not a satisfactory workaround.

So how are incremental resyncs expected to be triggered?
cjb42
New here

Re: Q-RAID 1, TS-109: sync not occurring automatically

Post by cjb42 »

Hi there,

According to the documentation (yes, I read it!), the sync occurs when you reconnect (i.e. power on) the eSATA or USB disk that is configured as a Q-RAID disk. You don't have to restart the NAS itself.

I tested this by doing a full sync of all 15GB of data, then ejecting and powering off the external disk. I then added a GB of data to the internal drive. When I powered on the external disk, the resync started automatically. If you ssh onto the device and do a "top", you can see the rsync processes kick in.

Hopefully, that should prove a better workaround for you than rebotting the whole thing.

c.
TS-109 pro 1.1.4 Build 1207T
TCP/IP: Fixed IP via DHCP, 1000 Mbps, MTU: 1500 Bytes
Enabled: Microsoft Networking (workgroup), FTP, UPnP MediaServer
Disabled: Apple Networking, NFS, Web File Manager, Multimedia Station, iTunes, Download Station, Web Server, DDNS, MySQL
SATA: Seagate ST3500320AS SD04 (7200.11)
ckamps
Starting out

WORKAROUND: Q-RAID 1, TS-109: sync not occurring automatical

Post by ckamps »

Since the NAS server is tucked away in another room in the house, the power off the eSATA and disconnect and reconnect cables approaches were not an option. The workaround I zeroed in on until I had Support look at it was to restart the qraid1 process. That's even better than restarting the NAS server.

But those workarounds no longer matter since I had a useful troubleshooting session tonite with Fan of QNAP Support. He narrowed down the problem to my use of NFS to copy files to the NAS server. When I use the web file uploader and SMB to copy files to the NAS server, I see the rsync jobs kick off immediately. When I use NFS to copy a file, the rsync doesn't happen. Ugh.

So my temporary workaround is to revert to using SMB for access to the file shares.

Why did I buy the "Pro" version? Oh yeah, it was for the NFS support... :D

Anyway, I'm confident QNAP will fix the problem in 1.6 or so. I can live with CIFS until that time.
cjb42
New here

Post by cjb42 »

Hmmm... that's a shame... I was just about to look into the use of NFS because I have a Mac and the SMB is not working well at all so far..... I drag a folder of mp3's onto the SMB mounted share in order to perform a copy, and I get an error 36, followed by the mounted share vanishing from Finder.

I was hoping NFS would maybe work better.

I'm starting to think that the QNAP is going to be very good for a media server, but little else, but its early days and I'm not giving up yet. However, I was hoping it would just work as advertised.

c.
Disabled: Apple Networking, NFS, Web File Manager, Multimedia Station, iTunes, Download Station, Web Server, DDNS, MySQL
ckamps
Starting out

Post by ckamps »

For Mac access via SMB, this approach has worked well enough for me:

http://blogs.kampmeier.com/?p=10
cjb42
New here

Post by cjb42 »

Thanks for the link... very interesting.

Unfortunately, the problem I am getting is a little more fundamental... I can connect to the QNAP fine with SMB, and certain stuff I can copy onto a share OK. If I try and copy my iphoto library onto the share (as I see you have done from your blog), it starts copying some files then bombs out with an unpleasant error. The Finder cannot complete the operation because some data in "" could not be read or written (Error code - 36)

I think I may have to pursue this in the Mac OS area.

(Copying iphoto library to my other non-QNAP NAS works just fine.)

Thanks,

c.
ckamps
Starting out

Post by ckamps »

Hi c,

I may have also messed around with file ownership and permission settings directly through ssh to the QNAP in order to make sure that the user logging in via SMB from the Mac had proper ownership across the directories in which the iPhoto library exists. chown -R and chmod -R type stuff.

It's worth a look via ssh or telnet to the QNAP if you haven't done this already.

Chris

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”