Drive order - does it matter?

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
abmagfab
Getting the hang of things

Drive order - does it matter?

Post by abmagfab »

So if I turned the QNAP 809 off, and rearranged the drives, and turned it back on, would it work? For my RAID card in my home-built server, drive order is irrelevant (and I've tested that). Is the same true for the QNAP?

Thanks!
Don
Guru

Re: Drive order - does it matter?

Post by Don »

No, you have to put the drives back in the same order. Why would you want to take them out and mix them up anyway?
Use the forum search feature before posting.

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
NAS: TVS-h674 | F/W: 5.0.1.2376 | 16GB | 3 x 18TB RAID 5
Apps: DNSMasq, PLEX, iDrive, QVPN, QLMS, MP3fs, HBS3, Entware, DLstation, VS, +
abmagfab
Getting the hang of things

Re: Drive order - does it matter?

Post by abmagfab »

For an internal RAID card, with traditional internally mounted drives, it's very easy to mix up which internal drive connects to which SATA cable. So it's pretty important that it work there.

In my case, it's really just that I swapped the tray for drive 4 and 5, as the Web UI wasn't working for adding a RAID drive, and right now they are in the wrong spots. So I just need to remember to swap the trays soon.

Other than that, with the QNAP, there's no real reason to swap them around. Except to play.

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”