Newbie Q-Raid 1 help

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
psikey
Been there, done that

Newbie Q-Raid 1 help

Post by psikey »

New to this. Got a TS-109 Pro with a 500GB Samsung Spinpoint installed.

Just bought two 1TB Samsung F1 drives & and external eSata housing.

Connected up the eSata housing with 1TB drive fitted, selected Q-Raid 1 and its now in the long slow process of Syncing the drives.

Once this has finished, can I just turn off the NAS & External drive, put the Synced 1TB drive in the TS-109 for it to be instantly recognised at switch on? Then put the other 1TB drive in my eSata housing & set up Q-Raid 1 again to sync so I then have the 2 1TB F1 drives in the Raid 1?

Then can I just put the spare 500GB Samsung an an additional housing & format to use again?

Thanks

Also:

Is it better to have the external drive connected via USB or eSata for Q-Raid 1? Seeing how slow the sync is is it better to have the Q-Raid using the USB & an external drive for additional storage as the eSata?
niwa2
Experience counts

Re: Newbie Q-Raid 1 help

Post by niwa2 »

i think this should be possible. i just don't know if Q-Raid creates the partitions on the 1TB drive to use it completely (1TB) or if it just creates partitions to use 500GB. but i don't know why it would only use 500GB on a 1TB drive. well, you will find out once you insert the 1TB drive in you NAS.

USB or eSATA does not really matter, eSATA is a little faster but not much.
TVS-1282 | Version 4.4.3 | 3x 12TB WDC WD121KRYZ RAID5
TS-639 Pro | Version 4.2.6 | 5x 3TB WDC WD30EFRX RAID5 as Backup
LianLi EX-50 with 3x 2TB SAMSUNG HD203WI + 2x 2TB SAMSUNG HD204UI in RAID5 as Backup drive
LianLi EX-503 with 5x 2TB SAMSUNG HD204UI in RAID5 as Backup drive

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”