root access

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
curiosity22
Getting the hang of things

root access

Post by curiosity22 »

G'day all,

I hope Im asking in the right forum if not happy to have my question moved to the appropriate location.

Qnap 212 first time owner of a qnap product - new user to the product but not new to crashing and burning systems :P.

I've done a search of the forum and not having much luck..

Simple question is there a switch to enable "root access" to the qnap os or an app by which to access it the web file management system seems not to be able to do this ? ..

Reason I want this is simply to be able to find what I've installed on the system ie python (where does it live) - sabnzbd I would simply like to update it - I know how just want to know where to access the files.

If someone could be so kind as to post a link where I can read on how to enable root access it would be much appreciated.

Regards and thanks in advance
schumaku
Guru

Re: root access

Post by schumaku »

Use ssh to login as admin ... in fact the root account is named admin on the QNAP NAS.

Do _not_ try to establish a share pointing to the NAS system and U**x root - by far to much risks, to many side effects, ...

For sabnzbd - please stick to the related forum ... http://forum.qnap.com/viewforum.php?f=133 The package maintainer is very active in keepin'it up-to-date, as of writing SABnzbd+ 0.6.15 (15-02-2012) -> http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=1 ... 63#p160566
curiosity22

Post by curiosity22 »

oh hey well that took all of 5 minutes for a reply - very gratefull for that. I hear the warning bells but am able to handle most extreme issues - I just like to have full access and see where what is.. like most it/t users if I cant control it I dont want it :P..

Thank you for the links to sabnzb much appreciated - I need to install the other packages as well sickbeard and the like one of the reasons why I was asking for root access I cant seem to find a package for sickbeard so was thinking of doing it manually.

edit that when one opens ones eyes its suprising what you can find - found everything I needed on QPKG beta section of the forum.

all I need is that root access to see where it all goes :P - I can't help myself - I just need a GUI and I'm racing.

As a by the by havent had an issue installing or running anything on the qnap so far, touch wood - I just need to learn how its directory structure runs for telling other apps where to look for and find things.

Regards and thank you again
curiosity22

Post by curiosity22 »

Hey gday again im sure some one out there would like to share how to enable root access :-)
reinob

Post by reinob »

For root access:
$ ssh admin@qnap-ip

If you need a GUI, you can install midnight commander (command "mc"). That'll give you a console-based (G)UI.
If you need something still more graphical, you can use any graphical SFTP client.

Are you using Linux?
curiosity22

Post by curiosity22 »

Hey thank you for the reply,

I'm using win7 x64 - and have Winscp so easy enough to see whats where - thank you for the ssh tip, its much appreciated.

Its the first time I've really played with linux - I used unix 20 + + + years ago my memory isnt what it used to be - I blame old age for that..
I'm just trying to create a familiar working environment for me to use.. when logged into the qnap without having to rely on windows..
I'll give midnight commander a go - I had a look at Krusader but its a little beyond my current skill set to install it.

Thank you again for the reply and tip.

Regards
philguk
Know my way around

Post by philguk »

Sorry to resurrect a really old thread, but I am trying to get FTP root access to my QNAP NAS, and using SSH (in CoreFTP) gives me an error when logging on

Code: Select all

SFTP connection error - SFTP subsystem on server unavailable
Is there something else I need to do to get ftp access as root? I need to view/copy some files from /etc/ to troubleshoot an NFS sharing problem

Thanks
Don
Guru

Post by Don »

Don’t post to nine year old topics. Please start a new topic and include all pertinent information.
Use the forum search feature before posting.

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
NAS: TVS-h674 | F/W: 5.0.1.2376 | 16GB | 3 x 18TB RAID 5
Apps: DNSMasq, PLEX, iDrive, QVPN, QLMS, MP3fs, HBS3, Entware, DLstation, VS, +
philguk
Know my way around

Post by philguk »

Don wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:28 am Don’t post to nine year old topics. Please start a new topic and include all pertinent information.
Will do

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”