The file system is not clean... running check disk

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
dsfx
New here

The file system is not clean... running check disk

Post by dsfx »

Hey,

I noticed some serious lag on my NAS the other night so i looked in my logs and to my dismay i found this error.
[Single Disk Volume: Drive 1] The file system is not clean. It is suggested that you run "check disk"

I'm running firmware 3.7.3 Build 20120801
I've got a single 2TB drive in there right now.

I cant' seem to find check disk anywhere. I've looked under Disk Management > Volume Management and have found SCAN NOW and CHECK NOW options. Are either of these what the log file is referencing? If this is the case then QNAPs terminology is a bit disjointed.

Thanks for any help.
schumaku
Guru

Re: The file system is not clean... running check disk

Post by schumaku »

Trigger a [Check Now] on System Management >> Disk Management -> Current Configuration: Logical Volumes
luddy
Easy as a breeze

Post by luddy »

I usually get this in my log after a power hit or something that causes the NAS to shutdown or reboot incorrectly. Just an FYI.
QNAP TS-239 Pro II | Version 4.2.6 B20181227 | 2 x 3TB - RAID-1 - WDC WD30EFRX RED
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

luddy wrote:I usually get this in my log after a power hit or something that causes the NAS to shutdown or reboot incorrectly.
Sure - shutdown. In case the file system can't be correctly dismounted, i.e. because of processes still running holding files and folders open, the dismount is enforced and can led to the same effect even on a "correct" shutdown.
jurass
Know my way around

Post by jurass »

And how to repair this? I just got the same same thing ("The file system is not clean. It is suggested that you run "check disk") on TS-112 (fw 3.7.3 Build 20120801). System reboots by itself all the time after just over 10 minutes. I can see the folder structure is ok. But it's very slow, cannot communicate with transmission which was running, cannot do any check from GUI (disk or logical volumes) as it's stuck on 0% and system reboots after a couple of minutes. What can I do? My linux knowledge is at zero level. :?
QNAP TS-112*Seagate ST3000VX000*FW: QTS 4.1.0 Build 20140612
Synology DS414*4xWD30EFRX SHR
PowerWalker VI 800 SW
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

jurass wrote:And how to repair this? I just got the same same thing ("The file system is not clean. It is suggested that you run "check disk") on TS-112 (fw 3.7.3 Build 20120801).
This is not something to repair - this is something that should never happen...
jurass wrote:System reboots by itself all the time after just over 10 minutes. I can see the folder structure is ok. But it's very slow, cannot communicate with transmission which was running, cannot do any check from GUI (disk or logical volumes) as it's stuck on 0% and system reboots after a couple of minutes. What can I do? My linux knowledge is at zero level. :?
Complete different reason leading to a non-healthy forced dismount.

Some config broken, something misconfigured, ... impossible to provide a snap answer I'm afraid. First thing I would suggest is to disable all add-ons, QPKG, .... and then bring up the NAS again. Especially on single HDD NAS, the drive can be is a critical factor. Run a short and a full SMART test on it.

Please open a dedicated thread for this crash issue. In case you don't want to deal with further Linux shell, please contact QNAP Customer Service.
jurass
Know my way around

Post by jurass »

OK, problem solved. The reason was disk running out of space and causing the strange NAS behaviour.
QNAP TS-112*Seagate ST3000VX000*FW: QTS 4.1.0 Build 20140612
Synology DS414*4xWD30EFRX SHR
PowerWalker VI 800 SW
IKOIKO
Starting out

Post by IKOIKO »

I just got the same notification so to the forums I go. After reading another post about the NAS shutting down incorrectly I realized this was the probable cause I unplugged the NAS by mistake and the next day got the error.
Storage manager- volume management- check file system --- its there on the bottom
QNAP-209 Pro 4.1.4
4X4 terabyte Drives
RAID 10
Linksys Router
Windows 10 Windows Home Server 2012
Linksys Gigabit Switch
Purchased for FTP maybe a web site
Recently Purchased
TS 212P
not set up yet
Mr Davo
Starting out

Post by Mr Davo »

Using Firmware version 4.2.0 I had to go about it by Storage Manager (1) > Storage Space (2) > Manage (3) > Actions (4) > Check File System (5) - as shown in the attached!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
karlegas
Know my way around

Post by karlegas »

I have the version 4.2.3 and I did not have that GUI, anyways I made the Check File System since I day ago started and still showing 0% with more than 24 hours running. Any advise?
Favorite Apps: Deluge - Plex, Twonky and TVmobili streaming
Models: TVS-463 QTS 4.3.4 / TS-221 QTS 4.3.3
Website: http://www.naseros.com Tutorials and News in Spanish for QNAP NAS

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”