how to move default file sharing to another disk

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
fourooms
First post

how to move default file sharing to another disk

Post by fourooms »

My QNAP is TS-219P+. I bought a new hard disk, and put it into the disk slot 1. After I have set all the file sharing folders, I put into the old Disk into Slot 2 and want to transfer the files into the new hard disk. But I found all the default file sharing folders are automatically switched to the old disk(disk 2).

Question: How can I move the default sharing from old disk(slot2) to the new disk(slot1)? e.g. Multimedia, Public, Download, Recordings
pwilson
Guru

Re: how to move default file sharing to another disk

Post by pwilson »

fourooms wrote:My QNAP is TS-219P+. I bought a new hard disk, and put it into the disk slot 1. After I have set all the file sharing folders, I put into the old Disk into Slot 2 and want to transfer the files into the new hard disk. But I found all the default file sharing folders are automatically switched to the old disk(disk 2).

Question: How can I move the default sharing from old disk(slot2) to the new disk(slot1)? e.g. Multimedia, Public, Download, Recordings
The official answer is already in the fine manual.
That being said, it is possible to change these, but doing so requires a thorough understanding of Linux, and the ability to manually edit configuration files, and the ability to manipulate directories, and ACLs (Access Control Lists).

Sorry for the vagueness of this response, but in the absence of any of the information requested in article: When you're asking a question, please include the following, (except your NAS model), nor an understanding of your Linux and "vi" skills, I believe your best bet would be to contact QNAP Customer Service, and ask them to do it for you. (They might decline, referring you to the above quoted text from the fine manual).

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
glacier
Getting the hang of things

Post by glacier »

Weird. Wonder why the manual is wrong again, and it changed from the first disk volume inserted away to the second one.
It is possible to move the shares, I did it by changing the paths in the smb config file, but I wouldn't do that without backups if I was you :)
szhjcn

Post by szhjcn »

pwilson wrote:
fourooms wrote:My QNAP is TS-219P+. I bought a new hard disk, and put it into the disk slot 1. After I have set all the file sharing folders, I put into the old Disk into Slot 2 and want to transfer the files into the new hard disk. But I found all the default file sharing folders are automatically switched to the old disk(disk 2).

That being said, it is possible to change these, but doing so requires a thorough understanding of Linux, and the ability to manually edit configuration files, and the ability to manipulate directories, and ACLs (Access Control Lists).

Sorry for the vagueness of this response, but in the absence of any of the information requested in article: When you're asking a question, please include the following, (except your NAS model), nor an understanding of your Linux and "vi" skills, I believe your best bet would be to contact QNAP Customer Service, and ask them to do it for you. (They might decline, referring you to the above quoted text from the fine manual).
Hmm then why does dropbox tell me to move the 'home' share to another volume less than 16tb ? and a tech support reply tell me to do this?

Obvioulsy for me would be easier to tell dropbox where to locate it's files. i.e. I create a small volume for dropbox and have dropbox use that.
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

szhjcn wrote:
pwilson wrote:

Hmm then why does dropbox tell me to move the 'home' share to another volume less than 16tb ? and a tech support reply tell me to do this?

Obvioulsy for me would be easier to tell dropbox where to locate it's files. i.e. I create a small volume for dropbox and have dropbox use that.
Please provide the output of:

Code: Select all

echo "Dropbox is installed in: \"$(getcfg -f /etc/config/qpkg.conf dropbox install_path)\""
echo "\"Homes\" directory is stored at \"$(getcfg -f /etc/config/smb.conf homes path)\""
#done

Please provide the complete "path" to a Volume (that is under 16TB), where you want it located going forward.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
szhjcn

Post by szhjcn »

Found out from a tech reply (thanks QNAP) that you can just:

Goto: Control Panel --> Users --> Home (Button) and move the Home to a different volume.

Obviously you need to setup a new volume first.

I unistalled dropbox, then I rebooted after moving the Home Dir then re-installed Dropbox. Syncing now.
DanTheMan

Post by DanTheMan »

szhjcn wrote:Found out from a tech reply (thanks QNAP) that you can just:

Goto: Control Panel --> Users --> Home (Button) and move the Home to a different volume.

Obviously you need to setup a new volume first.
With QTS 4.3.3 the button is called "Home Folder" and it just defines on which drive the home folders are to be found. If they don't exist on the specified drive, they will be created.

However, data is not moved. If you choose a different drive from the current one, the old home folders are simple deleted - without any hints or warnings.

Whoa, glad I had made a backup.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

why reply to a 2014 thread ?
DanTheMan

Post by DanTheMan »

Thread was quite at the top of a Google search result :-) so I thought that I might as well add my 5 cents to it.

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”