Explanation of QNAP Default Shares

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
schmity
Starting out

Explanation of QNAP Default Shares

Post by schmity » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:17 am

I just setup my qnap ts-212 and it automatically created 6 default shares: Multimedia, download, public, recordings, usb, and Web. They seem kinda self explanatory, but I was just curious if there was any explanations about what programs or apps use specific shares, useful guidlines, etc.

EDIT: When I connect to the Qnap through afp (in mac finder) Qsync shows up as another share.

pwilson
Guru

Re: Explanation of QNAP Default Shares

Post by pwilson » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:22 am

schmity wrote:I just setup my qnap ts-212 and it automatically created 6 default shares: Multimedia, download, public, recordings, usb, and Web. They seem kinda self explanatory, but I was just curious if there was any explanations about what programs or apps use specific shares, useful guidlines, etc.

EDIT: When I connect to the Qnap through afp (in mac finder) Qsync shows up as another share.

Each has a specific purpose.

1. Downloads - This "Share" is used for your "Downloads" using "Download Station".
  2. Home - Your "Home" folder is your private folder where you can store your own files. You can access this folder from multiple machines if desired.
  3. Homes - This is the "parent Share" for all the "Home" shares of your users. (This Share is only accessible by "admin"). Check out the Home Folders feature.
  4. Multimedia - This is where all your Multimedia files (Videos/Music/Photos) can be places so that they are accessible via Photo Station, Music Station, etc). You can create subdirectories in this share, so that you can keep your Multimedia files (Videos/Music/Photos) organized easily within their own subdirectories. You can also "mount" this Share on all your PC's so that you can access this centralized Multimedia from all your network devices.
  5. Network Recycle Bin - When you or your users delete files on the NAS via SMB or AFP, they end up here, where they can be "restored" if necessary. (I have this feature disabled here).
  6. Public - This is what you can put all your files that you want to be Pubilically available on your Network. All users will have access to this "Share".
  7. Qsync - This share is used with the QSync feature to store files associated with this feature.
  8. Recordings - This is where Surveillance Station puts all your Camera Recordings. (If you don't use Surveillance Station, this "share" will be empty).
  9. USB - This share is used by the USB Subsystem, you will never use this yourself, but it needs to exist for the USB subsystem to function correctly.
  10. Web - This share is where you can setup your own Websites (yes you can create more than one if you want). This will be empty unless you decide to create some Websites on your NAS. Check out the Web Server section of the fine manual.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.

umpa
Easy as a breeze

Post by umpa » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:34 am

Its worth noting that you don't have to use the default shares if you don't want. I have hidden them on my systems. I configured download station to use a different download share.
1x TS-412 3x WD2003YYS (Enterprise) 1x WD20EFRX (Green) [Raid 0]
1x TS-412 3x WDC ED30EFRX (Red) 1X ST3000VN007 (IronWolf) [Raid 5]
1x TS-412 2x WD20EZRX (GREEN) & 2x WD20EARS (Green) [Raid 5]
1x TS-859pro 4x WD30EFRX (RED) & 4X ST3000VN007 (IronWolf) [Raid 5]
1x TS-869pro 8X HGST HDS724040ALE640 - (DeskTop) [Raid 5]
1x WDSharespace 4xWDC WD2003YYS (Enterprise) [Raid 0] - The worst NAS I have ever owned.
5x WD MybookWorld White light Edition (Which are fitted with WD Green drives as standard) also rubbish

DjGuana
Getting the hang of things

Post by DjGuana » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:45 pm

if by mistake I have deleted this "Homes" folder, what should I do ?
Model : TS-659 Pro
Serial Number : NBUCA050040BC01

pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson » Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:31 am

DjGuana wrote:if by mistake I have deleted this "Homes" folder, what should I do ?

Deleted the "folder" or the "share"?

Code: Select all

ls -lFd $(testparm -s -l --section-name=homes --parameter-name=path 2>/dev/null)

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters

TonQ
Starting out

Post by TonQ » Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:58 pm

umpa wrote:Its worth noting that you don't have to use the default shares if you don't want. I have hidden them on my systems. I configured download station to use a different download share.

Is there a way to delete this share from the NAS?

pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson » Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:03 pm

TonQ wrote:
umpa wrote:Its worth noting that you don't have to use the default shares if you don't want. I have hidden them on my systems. I configured download station to use a different download share.

Is there a way to delete this share from the NAS?

Do NOT delete any default share. It will create issues. If you don't want to "see" them, simply "hide" them.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada

alokeprasad
Easy as a breeze

Post by alokeprasad » Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:32 pm

pwilson wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:22 am

Each has a specific purpose.
  1. Downloads - This "Share" is used for your "Downloads" using "Download Station".
  2. Home - Your "Home" folder is your private folder where you can store your own files. You can access this folder from multiple machines if desired.
  3. Homes - This is the "parent Share" for all the "Home" shares of your users. (This Share is only accessible by "admin"). Check out the Home Folders feature.
  4. Multimedia - This is where all your Multimedia files (Videos/Music/Photos) can be places so that they are accessible via Photo Station, Music Station, etc). You can create subdirectories in this share, so that you can keep your Multimedia files (Videos/Music/Photos) organized easily within their own subdirectories. You can also "mount" this Share on all your PC's so that you can access this centralized Multimedia from all your network devices.
  5. Network Recycle Bin - When you or your users delete files on the NAS via SMB or AFP, they end up here, where they can be "restored" if necessary. (I have this feature disabled here).
  6. Public - This is what you can put all your files that you want to be Pubilically available on your Network. All users will have access to this "Share".
  7. Qsync - This share is used with the QSync feature to store files associated with this feature.
  8. Recordings - This is where Surveillance Station puts all your Camera Recordings. (If you don't use Surveillance Station, this "share" will be empty).
  9. USB - This share is used by the USB Subsystem, you will never use this yourself, but it needs to exist for the USB subsystem to function correctly.
  10. Web - This share is where you can setup your own Websites (yes you can create more than one if you want). This will be empty unless you decide to create some Websites on your NAS. Check out the Web Server section of the fine manual.
This is on old but very useful thread for new users.

Question 1: Has anything changed with this in subsequent QTS releases?

Question 2: What privileges are advised for the following users for these folders to be secure but functional?

admin: will not be used on a daily basis
superuser: will be managing (adding, removing, renaming, etc.) the multimedia files
family member 1, 2: using NAS for their PC backups, sharing files on the LAN, viewing multimedia
media_viewer: used to connect TV, PS3, receivers etc to NAS for media playback.

The idea is to have segmented rights and privileges so that people/devices/malaware cannot accidentally mess around with files and damage is limited to specific areas that they can access..
NAS: TS-453Be
RAM:Crucial 8GB Kit (2 x 4GB) DDR3L-1600 SODIMM CT2KIT51264BF160B
QTS: 4.4.1.1146 build 20191206
HDD's: RAID 6: Four 8TB WD Red (WD80EFAX)
USB HDD: One 8 TB WD Mybook (WDBBGB0080HBK-NESN)
Switch: Netgear GS108

Moogle Stiltzkin
Ask me anything

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin » Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:46 am

alokeprasad wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:32 pm
This is on old but very useful thread for new users.

Question 1: Has anything changed with this in subsequent QTS releases?

Question 2: What privileges are advised for the following users for these folders to be secure but functional?

admin: will not be used on a daily basis
superuser: will be managing (adding, removing, renaming, etc.) the multimedia files
family member 1, 2: using NAS for their PC backups, sharing files on the LAN, viewing multimedia
media_viewer: used to connect TV, PS3, receivers etc to NAS for media playback.

The idea is to have segmented rights and privileges so that people/devices/malaware cannot accidentally mess around with files and damage is limited to specific areas that they can access..

agreed. i would also like to know

*bump :'
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS (HDN724040ALE640) & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 + 16gb ddr4 Crucial + QWA-AC2600 wireless adapter.
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A w. 5x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-659 Pro II 1x 4TB HGST Deskstar NAS
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-228 w. 1x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS)
[^] QNAP TS-128
Mobile NAS TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Asus AC68U Router|100dl/50ul MBPS FTTH Internet | Windows 10, WC PC-Intel i7 920 Ivy bridge desktop (1x 512gb Samsung 850 Pro SSD + 1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Guides & articles
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review

https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”