[SOLVED] Firmware recovery from DOM partition deletion

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
schumaku
Guru

Re: [SOLVED] Firmware recovery from DOM partition deletion

Post by schumaku »

userking88 wrote:dont understand what you mean
So better stick with the other topic you are participating and don't introduce procedures which don't exist. Links to Flash images are available along with the procedures -> https://wiki.qnap.com/wiki/Firmware_Recovery - no word of what you tried to do.
userking88
Starting out

Post by userking88 »

but at that page they write i have to use dame simple linux this want boot correct after some minutes of boot the qnap goes down

at the moment i am on version 1.2.8 and the qfinder pro detects the nas now
but if i try to update with image it write after 2 trys no way to ...
the same at automatic download and install the firmware i got : stack at 55% installed

so sorry at you but i dont know what i have to do next

EDIT:

I Reinsert the HDDS open Up the IP Adress with PORT in Browser and now it ask my for configure. i try to do this.

after 28% of formating hdd it stops but i reload the page and got the qnap webinterface it noticed that there is an 4.3.3 update.
one problem what i noticed is that the fan spins fast then slow and so on. what is that ??? its not normal
habee
Starting out

Post by habee »

@darth_max:
Thank you for your very useful information, it almost lead to success in my case, but i had to implement some further steps to successfully revive my TS-451.

The Problem was that even when I flashed the 1.2.8-Recovery-Image using the routine described in Qnap-Wiki, it does not completeley boot up correct and was not found by QFinder. You could
login onto the console using a keyboard and an attached monitor, but there were only rudimental files readable. When I tried to start binaries, it claims that several librairies are missing.

IMPORTANT: I flashed the DOM using an Ubuntu-Live-Image from an USB-Stick, and - even more important - connected the DOM using an modified USB-Cable as described here: viewtopic.php?t=126426, because
the DOM was not recognized when it stucks in its original place.

I tried three different recovery-Images, which I all found on the Qnap-Wiki-Page:

F_TS-X51_20140916-1.2.8.img
F_TS-X51_20141204-1.2.8.img
F_TS-X51_20150605-1.3.0.img

None was working, all had the same issues.

So I started another approach, because I had the feeling, that the rudimental Recovery-Image might not have enough information.

I downloaded the actual 4.3.3-Firmware-Image from Qnap-Website and tried to flash it directly. This does not work because the Image-File is encrypted. So I had to decrypt it first, you find the files needed for decrypting here:

https://sites.google.com/site/nliaudat/ ... ptfirmware

Follow the procedures described there using the ubuntu-Live-Image on your TS-451, first compile the *.c-Files using gcc, then decrypt the firmware image, it´s an *.tar.gz which you can unpack. You can then copy and overwrite the following files
onto the DOM putting it in the correct partition (should be for example /dev/sdb2 and /dev/sdb3), you see the files when you plug the DOM into an USB-Port:

bzImage
bzImage.cksum
initrd.boot
initrd.boot.cksum
qpkg.tar
qpkg.tar.cksum
rootfs_ext.tgz
rootfs_ext.tgz.cksum
rootfs2.bz
rootfs2.bz.cksum

The partition structure on the DOM is as follows:

sdb1: Boot (Size about 5 MB)
sdb2: System1 (Size about 240 MB) (marked as bootable)
sdb3: System2 (Size about 240 MB) (Backup-System)
sdb4: Extended Parititon (Size about 1 kB)
sdb5: Rootfs1 (?) (Size about 8 MB)
sdb6: Rootfs2 (?) (Size about 8 MB)

I think if a new image is being flashed and something goes wrong, the TS-451 tries to start from the third partition, which is left untouched. So that is the reason why you have two Systems on the DOM.

After doing all these copy things I restarted the TS-451 with the DOM in its original place. First boot was not successful, but after the second boot the NAS started to initialize. It´s working fine now, so I hope everyting is ok now.

Was a long text, and some thing might not be complete, because I recalled it from my memories. I can offer a full 4.3.3-DOM-Image (made with dd using ubuntu) and even images from the separate Partitions, it might help people stucking in the same situation. Image is here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6J0Ja ... sp=sharing

I have no Idea why QNAP does not offer a full working DOM-Image for Recovery, it would be much easier for a lot of people to revive the NAS.

Thanks again

habee
90Ninety
Know my way around

Post by 90Ninety »

I was able to clone a Dom Drive , by connecting a blank Dom with a Qnap Dom ( via homemade USB fly leads ) , for my TS451 . I ran Linux live on a PC and used DD . It would be handy if we could create images from our DOM drives and upload onto the cloud , so that we can flash via usb flylead
chumbers72
New here

Post by chumbers72 »

Hi,

This is an interesting post, I have had some issues with my TS 531P and was wondering if anyone can point me to the factory isntalled image for that unit.
Does anyone know where I can find it? I can only see the most recent firmware updates on the recovery guides, but nothing that takes me back to original factory install....

My issue is posted here: viewtopic.php?p=751638&sid=21aa8697b8c8 ... 66d97f4cdd

Any help or ideas would be appreciated, unless it's ready for the bin as suggested.

Thanks
QNAP TS 531-P | 8GB RAM | Firmware ? | Raid 5
caprupa
First post

Post by caprupa »

Hello

I've a TS-253 Pro and I followed the instructions to reload firmware but the procedure seems not working someone could help please?
lg8888
First post

Post by lg8888 »

I found an easier way for newbies like me.
1. go build a ubuntu usb stick using whatever way you like.
2. copy the 1.3 test firmware to the stick
3. change BIOS to boot from ubuntu stick, remember pull out your disks from NAS while NAS is down.
4. use the "Disk" application in ubuntu to restore the 1.3 image to the DOM. your copied file should be under /cdrom in ubuntu
5. after restore, if you can see 6 partitions created in DOM from "Disk" application, congratulations, it's 90% working.
6. reboot with the DOM, and your Qfinder in PC should be able to see your NAS
7. login with admin/admin, and do firmware upgrade from Qfinder
8. after reboot, plug your disks back
9. you should be able to see all your data after a long waiting time ( could be 10s of minutes ), and the login/password is also restored to the original

so, the key is to use Ubuntu to clone the 1.3 test image to your DOM instead of using cp or dd command. I tried both and didn't work for me.
Good luck !
atrocity
Starting out

Post by atrocity »

Hello,
i buy a ts-459 ii pro from ebay. The nas is starting well, qfinder see it and asked to set it up. The web gui page stucked at connectfail, so i'm not able to see the web gui.
The strange thing is that there are 2 buttons on the page, one to make a nas shutdown and the other for a restart.
The 2 are working well ...
I was able to SSH to it, using admin/admin. I did a try to restart qthttpd, but received a Apache error (will post it later)
So, i imagine that there is a problem with the DOM, and thinked that it will be easy to reflash it, using one of the found posts, like this one.
But, i have a problem with all the USBs sticks i used. Selecting it hitting F11 and selecting my USB stick works fine, but as soon i hit the enter taste, the system make a blank screen then a white blincking cursor. I tested many things and systems (Small dam, Clonezilla, freedos, ...) all makes me that blincking cursor ans stuck on it :(
Do anybody have a idea ?
Thanks
Jean
NO, RAID is NOT a backup

100 - TS-869L - 3Gb ram - running 8x ST4000VN000 (8x4Tb in raid 5)
101 - TS-451+ - 2Gb ram - running 4x WD20 (4x2Tb in raid 5)
102 - TS-639 - 1Gb ram - running 6x WD20 (6x2Tb in raid 5)
103 - TS-831x - 4Gb ram - running 8x WD40 (8x4Tb in raid 6)
104 - TS-459 Pro II - 4Gb ram - running 4x WD40 (4x4Tb in raid 5)
105 - TS-853A - 4Rb ram - running 8x WD40 (8x4Tb in raid 5)
evo-i-mene
First post

Post by evo-i-mene »

habee wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:33 pm @darth_max:

Was a long text, and some thing might not be complete, because I recalled it from my memories. I can offer a full 4.3.3-DOM-Image (made with dd using ubuntu) and even images from the separate Partitions, it might help people stucking in the same situation. Image is here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6J0Ja ... sp=sharing

I have no Idea why QNAP does not offer a full working DOM-Image for Recovery, it would be much easier for a lot of people to revive the NAS.

Thanks again

habee
hi habee,
the mentioned full DOM-image is not any more on the google drive (or the link is not working).
Could you (or anybody else who has ever downloaded or created himself), please, put it on google drive or on another cloud service temporarily until I download it. I am not skilled in linux enough to make it by myself.
thanks
Kedryn
New here

Post by Kedryn »

Sorry for resurrecting this post, but i have a TS-859Pro that i deleted the DOM partition too

i tried the F_TS-859_20110609-1.1.4 image on the wiki, but after rebooting, it complains about missing shared libraries, such as libuLinux_Util.so.0, and some others. I checked and there is no /usr folder at all, so no /usr/lib too

Anyone has a newer full image, or can DD a working 4.x from the same nas?

I wonder if i can use a TS-459Plus (i have a working one) to dump it
mustard
Getting the hang of things

Post by mustard »

Absolute lifesaver of a post when I finally found it. I knew the issue must be lack of free space on the DOM. QNAP support were trying to get me to RMA the NAS and have the mainboard replaced! Now back up and happily running the latest firmware.
nimustan
New here

Post by nimustan »

Hello,
Can someone guide me on how to use the "Disk" application in ubuntu to restore the 1.3 image to the DOM?
Thanks
crhammock
New here

Post by crhammock »

First off, just wanted to say great post, I have spent the last couple of days trying to recover the DOM on my TS-451 I have come to the same conclusion as @habee.

The TS-x51 recovery image is not complete, after reimaging the dom with the recovery image I can get to a linux prompt with network interfaces and a reasonable usable linux CLI however QFINDER is unable to detect the qnap, I have manually changed the MAC addresses to the correct ones listed on the chassis as they originally come up as 00:00:00:00:00:05:02 but still qfinder cannot find my NAS.

I have tried downloading from the Download Center and decrypting 4.3.6 which is the oldest available version but when I copy the files onto the dom flashed with the recovery image the NAS boots into some weird recovery Linux CLI with new network interfaces and limited commands.

What I need is either the original image for QTS 4.3.3.0174 build 20170503 as used by @habee or the decrypted files. Does anyone have these? Before you suggest, I have also tried this link https://eu1.qnap.com/Storage/TS-X51/TS- ... 3.0174.zip but also doesn't work.

Once again thanks for the post and I hope this short reply might help those with simular issues with a TS-451.
Yannrouge
First post

Post by Yannrouge »

I got same issue on my TS-251 , try several img but still same screen with Login screen, i've also found the Decrypting file on new Url https://sites.google.com/site/nliaudat/ ... authuser=0 but i'm not really familiar with Linux .. someone can help mayb by decripting me the file F_TS-X51_20140916-1.2.8.img http://eu1.qnap.com/Storage/tsd/fullima ... -1.2.8.img (is the one that support told me to use on my NAS for DOM recovery) .many thanks to who can help .!!!
pioada
Starting out

Post by pioada »

nimustan wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:02 pm Hello,
Can someone guide me on how to use the "Disk" application in ubuntu to restore the 1.3 image to the DOM?
Thanks
I would also need to know how this "Disk" function works.
Any help? Thanks
TS-470 Pro with 8Gb Ram
3 x WD40EFRX

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”