High CPU and memory utilisation

FlixFlix
New here

Process priorities

Post by FlixFlix »

After the update, it looks like the NAS is again usable. Performance is still affected, however: file transfers are much much slower.

:idea: The slowdown likely occurs because the symformsync process is apparently not set to have a lower priority than other running processes, such as smbd (SAMBA - for windows networking).

Is there any way to set the symformsync process to run with a lower priority? I tried SSH-ing into the device and doing it via the Linux "nice" command but it seems that the distro on this box does not come with this command. In fact, I wasn't even able to check the current priorities of running processes with the "top" command... the priority ("nice-ness" value) column is missing.

:?: Any ideas on how to make this happen?
Symform
Starting out

Re: High CPU and memory utilisation

Post by Symform »

Hello FlixFlix,

I understand that you would like to have Symform run as a lower priority. All three of the Symform services run in 'Nice' mode. You can check this in the TOP, by looking at the STATUS column. You will see a N listed on each of the Symform services.

Thank you,
Symform Support Team

Symform, inc.
FlixFlix
New here

Post by FlixFlix »

Symform wrote:All three of the Symform services run in 'Nice' mode. You can check this in the TOP, by looking at the STATUS column. You will see a N listed on each of the Symform services.
Yes, I was able to confirm this. I just don't understand then why the performance hit. Regardless of cause, the situation is pretty clear:
  • With SymForm enabled, file transfer speeds max out at 20-25 MB/s.
  • With SymForm disabled, files come through at 40-50MB/s.
I really want to keep SymForm and I truly believe that development efforts should focus on NAS devices. They're always on, unlike PCs or Laptops. And you know, it's one thing to give up some free space, but quite another to halve your box's overall performance.
pjjameso
New here

Post by pjjameso »

I have constant high cpu utilization and memory usage even after all my files are synced on symform. Afraid at this point I to will be pulling the plug. Great concept, just wish is behaved a bit more reasonably.
Symform
Starting out

Post by Symform »

Hello pjjameso,

I understand that you are noticing a high CPU and memory usage. We did push an update to address high memory usage. Please send a support request email to: support@symform.com and we would be happy to review the status of your device node and help you out.

Thank you,
Symform Support Team

Symform, inc.
mercivoilaplease
New here

Post by mercivoilaplease »

Where can I grab the upgrade I am experiencing the same issue too ...

______________________________________________________________________________________________________
Computers are fast and stupid, humans slow and brilliant. Together they're powerful beyond imagination Free hosting
1PDY
Know my way around

Post by 1PDY »

Got the similar issue (high CPU, mem) on TS410. Perhaps it may not suitable for this model.

UPDATE: Had to uninstall Symform to get the TS410 usable again.
TS-473A 32GB QTS 5.1.4.2596 with 4x 3TB in RAID5 256GB M.2 Cache
Services: Samba, TimeMachine, iTunes, VM Station and ContainerStation
QPKG: Surveillance Station Pro
3x Hikvision
1x Dahua
mkg
Starting out

Post by mkg »

Installed on Ts-459 Pro+, contributed 1000GB to backup my data.

Uninstalled after a week because of poor performance and slowing down QNAP to a point that it responds really slowly to any request and consuming amount of resources that blocks even accessing admin interface on QNAP via www (timeouts).

Seriously... I don't understand how a files syncing app can slow down 2x1.8Ghz CPU, 1GB RAM machine.
Great idea, really poor execution.

Return to “Symform”