High CPU and memory utilisation

spellinn
Starting out

Post by spellinn »

Ever since enabling Symform, my NAS hard discs are never quiet and are constantly active.

Also, I notice that there is now a "mono" processes using the majority of the CPU (70%) and over 30Mb of RAM (I did see it at 60Mb at one point).

Given the next largest process uses 827k, I'm wondering if Symform has some kind of memory leak?

With such an impact to utilisation, I can't see me running Symform for long.

Regards

Neil
Don
Guru

Re: High CPU and memory utilisation

Post by Don »

It is very CPU intensive and will be more noticable on slower CPU based NAS devices.
Use the forum search feature before posting.

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
NAS: TVS-h674 | F/W: 5.0.1.2376 | 16GB | 3 x 18TB RAID 5
Apps: DNSMasq, PLEX, iDrive, QVPN, QLMS, MP3fs, HBS3, Entware, DLstation, VS, +
klos
New here

Post by klos »

What did you expect by letting some software constantly use your harddrive being part of their multi-thread/multi-location network?
spellinn
Starting out

Post by spellinn »

I expected, with the office hours I had configured, for the software to me mostly in-active during the day, and sync at night, but its constantly thrashing away at my discs 24/7

Regards

Neil
Symform
Starting out

Post by Symform »

We understand some QNAP users are having CPU and memory capacity issues after downloading Symform onto their QNAP device. We are working to identify the root cause and fix this. Feel free to share any information on the forums if you think it will help us track down and resolve this issue faster. Thanks for all of feedback and your patience!
Symform Support Team

Symform, inc.
itsmarcos
Easy as a breeze

Post by itsmarcos »

I have the same issue (thrashing?) on a 219P+

There are three processes with the name 'mono' eating up 68MB, 17MB and 36MB. That amounts to 121MB and all of them consume about 99% of the CPU.

I thought that Symform was already alpha and beta tested on QNAP low-end NAS boxes :(

Disabling until a solution is found.

Primary

QNAP TVS-951N [latest QTS 5.0.x]
- disk 1: WDC Red WD80EFZX
- disk 2: WDC Red WD80EFZX
- disk 6: Samsung SSD Evo 500GB, SSD Cache
- disk 7:Samsung SSD Evo 500GB, HybridMount Cache
- External disk: WDC Red WD60EFRX
Dead one
QNAP TS-253B [4.4.x] - now dead

Remote backup
QNAP TS-219 P+ [latest 4.3.x]
- disk 1: HGST Deskstar 7K3000 HDS723030ALA640 3TB
- disk 2: WDC Red WD40EFRX
spellinn
Starting out

Post by spellinn »

I've disabled it for now, but I can re-enable it if there's specific things you'd like me to capture to help troubleshoot (I have ssh access to my NAS)

Regards

Neil
alopezcamacho
New here

Post by alopezcamacho »

I have the same problem wit TS-21P II
mono proccess about 40-50% CPU and 46MB RAM

It does not worth using with this performance. I'm going to desactivate it too.
TS451+ - 8GB RAM - RAID 5 - 6 TB + Single Drive 2TB
gruijter
Starting out

Post by gruijter »

I've tried it on my TS-119P+ for almost 2 weeks now. I used to spin down my HD most of the day, and shut down the machine completely during the night. Now with Symform it is hammering my HD 24/7. Also CPU is at 80-100% almost all the time. I tried to store 40GB of data (family photo album) in the cloud. According to the calculation tool this should be achieved within a few days with my bandwidth (1mbps up/10mbps down). Unfortunaltely after almost 2 weeks of 24/7 "action" not even 20GB got stored in the cloud......

I'm shutting Symform down as well untill this service gets a lot better. Sorry for the people who have stored 11.5 GB in total on my NAS the past 2 weeks :oops:
Symform
Starting out

Post by Symform »

We are happy to announce that we have made some performance improvements to reduce CPU and memory usage on QNAP devices. These improvements will be available with our 3.0 release next week. If you are currently running Symform, your device will auto-update to the latest version.

In terms of disk thrashing, Symform is very disk IO intensive as we store, move, and retrieve data across our distributed storage network. This is not a QNAP specific issue. In addition to receiving fragments for storage, the contribution service is also moving fragments to other devices to re-balance our storage network and uploading fragments to serve restore requests from other nodes. All of these tasks in concert create a lot of disk chatter.

We appreciate your comments and feedback. Please feel free to post additional comments to help us refine and improve our service overall.
Symform Support Team

Symform, inc.
Jesbo
New here

Post by Jesbo »

I installed the Symform client on my TS-419P+ today and registered. Contributed 150 Gigs and set up a Sync folder. Seems to be working. I set minimal upload and download bandwidth during the day and opened it up some during the night. I also notice several mono processes that use considerable CPU... doing what I don't know since my sync folder has only 2 50 meg files in it and they were synced to the cloud hours ago. I'm in the "Training" window so I assume nothing is being pushed into my contributed storage until the Training window is over. I'll leave it up for a few weeks and see how it goes. I am also closely watching just how much increase in data transmission across my WAN link this service incurs. With only a 250 Gig / month cap on my Internet service (upload + download bytes) I'm concerned that this could push my limits. My router keeps tabs on upload/download bytes per day so I should be able to see the increase this service imposes.

I'm sure Symform would prefer this service be used by business customers, but the concept is pretty cool as long as it doesn't prove to be a bandwidth and resource hog.
hamundse
New here

Post by hamundse »

Running Mono (.NET framework) on ARM-based QNAP devices is not a great combination with regards to CPU/Mem consumption. If Symform would convert their .NET client API to something that wouldn't require Mono, or at least provide a scheduling function (e.g. let the service only run at night), I would be more than happy to return as an Symform user. I haven't tested the 3.0 release yet, but my assumption is that it would not improve the NAS health considerably.. but definitly worth to test.
Symform
Starting out

Post by Symform »

Jesbo wrote:I installed the Symform client on my TS-419P+ today and registered. Contributed 150 Gigs and set up a Sync folder. Seems to be working. I set minimal upload and download bandwidth during the day and opened it up some during the night. I also notice several mono processes that use considerable CPU... doing what I don't know since my sync folder has only 2 50 meg files in it and they were synced to the cloud hours ago. I'm in the "Training" window so I assume nothing is being pushed into my contributed storage until the Training window is over. I'll leave it up for a few weeks and see how it goes. I am also closely watching just how much increase in data transmission across my WAN link this service incurs. With only a 250 Gig / month cap on my Internet service (upload + download bytes) I'm concerned that this could push my limits. My router keeps tabs on upload/download bytes per day so I should be able to see the increase this service imposes.

I'm sure Symform would prefer this service be used by business customers, but the concept is pretty cool as long as it doesn't prove to be a bandwidth and resource hog.
Hello Jesbo,
I understand that you are concerned about the mono processes that are running. This is normal. We are working on reducing the amount of CPU and memory that is required by those processes in our next release.
Also, in regards to the limit your ISP puts on your bandwidth, this may cause a problem, since if you are contributing, there will be a constant amount of bandwidth being used by the service. We actually require a "Business Class" type of Internet service that is always-on with no limits. For more information, please follow this link: http://www.symform.com/product-requirements.aspx
'Internet Connection & Available Disk Space
Always on business class Internet connection with no transfer limits and sufficient bandwidth to meet your cloud storage needs.
Minimum bandwidth of 512Kbps Up and 1Mbps Down. Test yours at http://www.speedtest.net.
Use our bandwidth calculator to determine the bandwidth necessary to synchronize your data to the cloud.
Local storage proportional to what you will be using in the cloud.'

Thank you,
Symform Support Team

Symform, inc.
Symform
Starting out

Post by Symform »

hamundse wrote:Running Mono (.NET framework) on ARM-based QNAP devices is not a great combination with regards to CPU/Mem consumption. If Symform would convert their .NET client API to something that wouldn't require Mono, or at least provide a scheduling function (e.g. let the service only run at night), I would be more than happy to return as an Symform user. I haven't tested the 3.0 release yet, but my assumption is that it would not improve the NAS health considerably.. but definitly worth to test.
Hello Hamundse,

I understand your concerns, and we are listening. We are very close to pushing out the 3.0 release, and it does have some improvements for the Mono processes on the CPU and memory resources. Look for it to come out within this week or next.

Thank you,
Symform Support Team

Symform, inc.
pplatteel
New here

Post by pplatteel »

How do I know which version of symform is running on my Qnap TS-659 Pro II?

Mono is using 99,9% cpu during off-business hours and around 60% cpu during business hours. But worse yet is that mono is consuming 745M of memory...
If this high loads are not resolved in version 3.0, than I am out.

Return to “Symform”