Could a lower SymFormSync process priority be the answer?

FlixFlix
New here

Could a lower SymFormSync process priority be the answer?

Post by FlixFlix »

After the 3.8.14.0 update, it looks like the NAS is again usable. Performance is still affected, however: file transfers are much much slower.

:idea: The slowdown likely occurs because the symformsync process is apparently not set to have a lower priority than other running processes, such as smbd (SAMBA - for windows networking).

Is there any way to set the symformsync process to run with a lower priority? I tried SSH-ing into the device and doing it via the Linux "nice" command but it seems that the distro on this box does not come with this command. In fact, I wasn't even able to check the current priorities of running processes with the "top" command... the priority ("nice-ness" value) column is missing.

:?: Any ideas on how to make this happen?
Cachorro
Starting out

Re: Could a lower SymFormSync process priority be the answer

Post by Cachorro »

Hi FlixFlix,
Did you have any luck with resolving this? I can see no one has answered... strange as this I would expect it be a common problem... or just no one using it on qnap?

I installed Symform just a few minutes ago. So I am very fresh on this.
But I can see this as a big factor and I am already thinking of removing symform all together.

Three missing management settings are critical for this app to work for me:
1_ Resource assignment (RAM and CPU)
2_ Bandwidth Assignment
3_ Synchronization operating schedule (ie: 1 to 7 AM).

Thanks for listening.
FlixFlix
New here

Re: Could a lower SymFormSync process priority be the answer

Post by FlixFlix »

I never re-installed SymForm but I did upgrade the firmware all the time which means I'm at 4+ (or whatever the current version is). I have no idea if any work has been done about SymForm meanwhile so your best bet would be to check the release histories on both QNAP and SymForm sites.

Return to “Symform”