Brand New TVS872XT doesn't see thunderbolt connection?

Questions about using NAS on Mac OS.
Dialekt
First post

Brand New TVS872XT doesn't see thunderbolt connection?

Post by Dialekt »

I have tried both thunderbolt ports. (this is day one of owning this). Due to this forum I did check the mobo version to verify it is 1.7 right as I opened the retail box. Not sure why or how this is happening or if I'm doing something wrong? Both ports say disconnected. Am I supposed to setup a thunderbolt bridge beforehand via the Mac networking settings? How can I check if this cable is even seen in MAC OS ? (I'm on Monterrey)...Should it be somewhere in About->system settings etc? I'm using the OWC hub ...I just came from a Thunderbay NAS using the same cable just fine. So before I purchase another cable I'm not sure what else to do?
whazup
Starting out

Re: Brand New TVS872XT doesn't see thunderbolt connection?

Post by whazup »

New user here too (TVS-872XT) and Thunderbolt3 (TB3) connection working fine here; same 1.7 mobo as you. I'm using QuTS 4.5.4.1813 firmware on a M1 MacBook Pro

When you connect the TB3 cable at both ends, the NAS should beep and display a 196.254.x.x IP address on the built-in NAS display. Qfinder app on your Mac/PC should then show two connections with two separate IPs:
• TB3: 196.254.x.x
• LAN: 192.168.x.x/10.0.x.x/172.16.x.x (depending on your DHCP config)
Alternately, you can scroll through these IPs on the NAS display using the bottom button.

I subsequently went into the NAS Control Panel..Network & Virtual Switch and forced a fixed IP for its Thunderbolt Bridge (screenshot attached). I also gave my Mac a fixed IP in the same 196.254.x.x range (be sure to select the Thunderbolt Bridge interface there too).

I then set my Mac to never sleep or logout when connected to a power supply. I've read many posts that say TB3 connections are very unstable after a Mac wakes up. That may not be an issue for Windows PCIe cards. I just make sure I eject any TB3 shares before I unplug from power, then remount shares via the LAN connection (ethernet and WiFI still work, just slower than TB3).

Good luck!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TVS-872XT-i5-16G:
2x 1TB NVMe ZFS/RAID-1 (Samsung 970 EVO Plus MZ-V7S1T0B/AM)
8x 4TB HDD ZFS/RAID-6 (Seagate IronWolf Pro ST4000NE001)
Prelight
First post

Re: Brand New TVS872XT doesn't see thunderbolt connection?

Post by Prelight »

I am having the same problem and cannot connect to the Thunderbolts.

I have tried setting the IP and that hasn't worked.
- different cables
- 3 sec reset
- different ports

All recommendations just don't seem to work.

I am running this hard drive on macOS Monterey with an M1 chip.

Thank you for any help.

Return to “Mac OS”