Slow index

Questions about using NAS on Mac OS.
zarickberger
New here

Slow index

Post by zarickberger »

Hello,

I installed the new and supposably fast 10Gbit QNAP TS-h973AX-8G using a 10Gbit Qnap Switch for a few MacBook Pros here in the office.
When using video files it works, but slowly, only giving us about 200 MBytes/s instead of the anticipated 1250 MBytes using the 5 x 20TB Nas Segate harddrives in RAID 5 and the fast samsung M2 cache.

For the the smaller files, the NAS becomes totally unusable because of the extremely slow file system.
Showing the index of a folder can take several minutes and it can loose the connection while doing so.
This task is instantaneous when this same folder is opened on the internal HDD or SSD of the computer.

Is this a known problem with QNAP or is there some setting that would make this NAS usable?
Should such a lame NAS solution even be sold without a warning that it is only good for backups?

Best regards,
Zarick Berger
Producer
Zebrafilm SARL
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Slow index

Post by dolbyman »

remove the cache and try again..cache has been reported as counterproductive many times
zarickberger
New here

Post by zarickberger »

I already did disable the cache because it really slowed down the machine.
While that speed it up slightly, it didn't do anything to speed up the index generation.
QNAP is selling us garbage here.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

None of my QNAPs shows SMB shares slow at all (and they range from low to high end)

Bob Zelin installs these systems at tons of video production companies...he wouldn't if they'd be too slow

My bet is on a configuration issue on your end
zarickberger
New here

Post by zarickberger »

Got a MacBook M1pro with a 10 Gbit QNAP USB-C to Ethernet converter, directly connected trough a 10 Gbit QNAP Switch to the QNAP NAS setup as a Raid 5 with a static address and without cashing.
What can one do wrong?

Z

Return to “Mac OS”