TVS 672XT serving slowly

Questions about using NAS on Mac OS.
sportivod
New here

TVS 672XT serving slowly

Post by sportivod »

My 672XT is serving at only approximately 150 MB/s, having been working at closer to 700 for some time.

I am currently connected over 10GBe, having used TB for primary connection for nearly a year. TB was completely killed on my Mac when upgrading to Big Sur, so I went back to Catalina until more recently upgrading to Monterey, which seems to work OK. In the meantime, I updated to QTS5, which caused complete failure of my QNAP when serving video files. I didn't realise the cause until this week, when I finally hit upon the reason in these forums and downgraded back to QTS 4.

The downgrade to QTS 4 at least got me back up to 150 ish, but that's still not good enough, especially considering how fast it used to be! I have been suspicious of the direct TB connection since my Big Sur experience, hence the change to 10GB e, which works via my OWC Thunderbolt 3 Pro dock to my MBP 16". I found excellent advice on these pages as to ensuring the 10GB connection was properly up and running and I am happy that it is.

All QNAP tests on disks and the system in general are good and it all reports back as such.

BUT, the speed seems unreasonably slow - any suggestions? I am familiar with Macs and editing, but have VERY limited understanding of networking and NAS. I follow instructions to get things working and everything was working perfectly until I started updating my computer system. Please speak slowly and I will be most grateful for your advice!

My system is as follows:

QNAP TVS 672XT 8GB, RAID 6, 6x 4TB Iron Wolf Pro, 2x Samsung EVO 500GB SSD set to READ ONLY RAID 0 cache (unclear if this does anything!), 10GB E connection to OWC Thunderbolt 3 Pro Dock (connection working and showing as 10GB in Qfinder and green in network settings on Mac)

Computer: 2019 MBP 16", 2.3GHz 8 Core i9, 64GB RAM, AMD 5500M 8GB GFX, OS Monterey 12.1

Internet on the Mac is over wifi and the QNAP and Mac are directly connected. The QNAP has a separate, wired connection to the wider network and internet for updates etc. The only network change at all has been the switch from direct TB connection to the 10GB direct connection.

Thanks for any pointers!
Bob Zelin
Experience counts

Re: TVS 672XT serving slowly

Post by Bob Zelin »

stop using thunderbolt to the QNAP. Buy a thunderbolt 3 to 10G adapter (currently not available from anyone including QNAP, Sonnet, OWC, etc.) and you will have no problems. You will get your full speeds that you are used to. Let me repeat - NO THUNDERBOLT connection directly from the MacBook Pro to the QNAP. I don't care what QNAP says. I am telling you what actually works. I sure hope that QNAP ships 1000 QNA-T310G1T adapters to the US very soon ! And don't tell me "but but but - it used to work" - I am telling you what DOES work, without issue. And update back to QTS 5.0.0.1932

Bob Zelin
Bob Zelin / Rescue 1, Inc.
http://www.bobzelin.com
sportivod
New here

Post by sportivod »

Hi Bob, thanks for the response. As I said, I am currently using 10GB ethernet, NOT thunderbolt - sorry if that wasn't clear. Yes, Thunderbolt did work very well until the Big Sur disaster and then the QTS5 Thunderbolt massacre, so I have realised it just isn't a reliable connection on its own. As I have a MBP to work with, which only has TB connections, I am, obviously, stuck with some dependence on the wretched thing!
Happily, my OWC TB3 Pro dock has 10GB ethernet, so I am using that for connection and followed your own instructions on another thread to ensure it is correctly set.
My problem is that the QNAP itself is not serving files fast enough but, I think I have now (within the past hour) worked it out and it's to do with disk capacity. I don't know enough to discern if this is any sort of error, or expected behaviour, so your knowledge would be most appreciated.
My disks were running at 60% capacity (ie 40% free), in RAID 6 - 6 x 4TB Iron Wolf Pro 7200rpm and their max speed was 150. I have now cleared them to about 40% capacity and they are running at 500+. Clearly, I need bigger disks and must ensure a lot of space for maximum efficiency! Is this what I should always expect? I would not have expected such a drop off until about 80% capacity.
Thanks so much for your advice!
Kind regards,
Dominic

PS I'm in the UK, so apologies if I seem tardy in my responses.
Bob Zelin
Experience counts

Post by Bob Zelin »

you should not see slowdowns on your system with 7200 RPM SATA drives until you hit 90%.

I have stated the setup, but I will state it again, as so many people that I find use the "self assigned" IP address from DHCP, instead of setting a static IP address.

Go into the QNAP Control Panel. The single 10G port on the TVS-672XT is ethernet port 1. Set this to a static IP address of 192.168.2.3, subnet 255.255.255.0, MTU 9000, Apply
On your Mac (the OWC doc that has the 10G port) - set a static IP address of 192.168.2.11, 255.255.255.0 MTU 9000. You are not going to get internet from this port. Use WiFi, or the native 1G port on your Mac for internet access.

Now, click on GO> Connect To Server> smb://192.168.2.3
your QNAP will mount on your desktop of your Mac.
Run AJA System Test or Blackmagic Disk Speed Test, and test your speeds. I bet you get great speeds from now on, even when you are 90% full.

Bob Zelin
sportivod
New here

Post by sportivod »

Thanks again, Bob. I used your suggested settings to get back up to speed when I reset to 10G E. The speeds are good now, after my tidy up. Fingers crossed it stays that way! Thanks for all the help! D
ZingerBurger
New here

Post by ZingerBurger »

Hi Bob,

I have read a lot of your feedback and comments in multiple threads trying to get my TVS872XT set up over 10gbe, and still can't get my setup working.

So I'm wondering if you could please provide some advice for 10gbe connection on my TVS872XT.

I bought it to use as media editing server, with primary setup being a direct connection with thunderbolt 3 cable.

Over thunderbolt I get great performance and speeds, but my iMac is suffering from the thunderbolt bridge issue where the QNAP disconnects when my iMac goes into sleep. This is a massive pain for workflow.

So I have been trying to get a direct 10gbe connection set up.

This is the iMac model I have 10gbe: https://support.apple.com/kb/SP790?locale=en_AU

I have followed your exact methods/settings and can still only get 1GBe speeds from my TVS872XT.

In the QNAP Network & Virtual Switch section, it shows my Adaptor 1 as 10GbE + connected, but the network speed is only listed as 1Gbe.

I have set the QNAP 10gbe port IP address to manual and set my 10gbe port on my iMac to manual IP address as well (both the exact same settings as you listed above, both IP addresses are different to my internet network). I am still only getting 1gbe speeds.

The QNAP isn't connected to the internet, and the 10gbe port on the QNAP is the only port with something plugged in.

My computer is connected via wifi, but I have also tried the setup without no internet connection and still only get 1gbe speeds.

I have set jumbo frames to 9000, and also tried the terminal ping command and it returns back 64 bytes repeatedly.

I have also tried 3 different cat 7 lan cables and still have the 1gbe bottleneck.

This is my first time with a server so I have very limited knowledge, but it seems somehow my 10gbe port is on a 1gbe network (despite the manual IP addresses) and this is why I'm getting slow speeds?

Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your help
cinemattix
Starting out

Post by cinemattix »

Hi All (see attached file for IO speed)

Bob- I like your advice but I am getting good speeds with TB -on a 672xt on the latest 12.6 OSX and Qnap 5.0.1 build 2145 (The latest) --Now my upload and download speeds aren't that great and Im running ATT Fiber at 300m plus.

Sportlvod--When you talk about speed are you talking IO speed for like editing or Internet transfer speed ?

I like Bobs idea and may try that but I can say that QTS 5.0.0 killed TB IO and QTS 4 and 5.0.1 fixes the speeds. IF by chance you are editing on Adobe premiere (not sure your profession) but Adobe is the issue with lack of speed-find a version that is responsive to what you are doing.

By the way --Im running TB connected to my Mac mini M1 -the mini is not connected with Ethernet. You can't run TB and Ethernet at the same time. the 672xt is then connect by ethernet to my Google router. Running Mac mini off Wifi.

hope that gives ya some insight

Matt
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sportivod
New here

Post by sportivod »

Thanks, Cinemattix.

Yes, I'm referring to IO for editing etc in Adobe CC apps - mostly corporate communications and some marketing videos. I am sure there's a Premiere issue here, but my IO speeds shown by the Blackmagic app are about half of yours.

My journey was - original setup as directed by QNAP, TB IO from/to Mac, that was killed by v5.0. I reverted back to QTS4 but TB constantly failed. Then I followed Bob's advice to the letter and had good IO speeds over 10GBe. Then it just got slower and slower, until it reached a point of being unuseable and I was having to offload the files I needed to TB flash drives and work with them, only using QNAP for archiving. Then I did a purge of old files and speeds improved to useable, but not fast - this is where I currently sit. I'm still using TB drives for day-to-day and only using QNAP as backup - it's lamentable!
cinemattix
Starting out

Post by cinemattix »

here is my set up --osx 12.6 Qnap 5.0.1 (2145) latest firmware. TB speeds came back with 5.0.1 (dont use 5.0.0). Premiere UGGGGHHHH I have found that 22.2 is much more responsive than what is after it (22.6.2) laged bad) -TB is connected from Mac mini to Qnap and ethernet is connect back to my Google WiFi. I haven't had any random disconnects and my speeds are pretty consistent.

Like I said I found that you can't run TB and ethernet to the Qnap for IO at the same time. Also see new attached file --( I connect to my NAS with this connection) Cinemattix (thunderbolt) not AFP --AFP doesn't seem to work like the thunderbolt connect.

Finally I have 5 Seagate enterprise drive running in a raid 5 (Raid 6 I think is slower and you're not gonna have 2 drives fail at the same time -if you do you better find a lucky charm to keep)
1 Sandisk regular SSD in my 6th bay running the apps for QTS (was) and 2 (2tb) Sabrent NVME sticks running in their slots - One is used for Cache acceleration for the 5 spinning drives and the other is used strictly for Adobe cache (this set up) seems to be working pretty good but I always run Adobe cache (essential gfx panel etc) files ( or any app that uses cache0 on the fastest drive possible) I may even go to a completely separate TB drive outside my NAS for Adobe cache if I dont like the way this current set up is running.

Never let the cache of any app accumulate on your OSX drive.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bob Zelin
Experience counts

Post by Bob Zelin »

Bob- I like your advice but I am getting good speeds with TB -on a 672xt on the latest 12.6 OSX and Qnap 5.0.1 build 2145 (The latest) --Now my upload and download speeds aren't that great and Im running ATT Fiber at 300m plus.

when I read stuff like this - I just shake my head. What on earth does AT&T Fiber running at 300 Mb/sec have anything to do with a DIRECT CONNECTION from your 10G port on your computer to the 10G port on your QNAP. If you have EIGHT 7200 RPM SATA drives (Seagate, WD RED Pro, Toshiba Enterprise) in a single RAID 5 or RAID 6 configuration, static volume, (the TVS-672XT has 6 drives, so you need ALL SIX matching 7200 RPM SATA drives in a RAID 5 STATIC VOLUME configuration) - NO CACHING, NO QTIER - and you set a static IP of Ethernet port 1 to be 192.168.2.3, 255.255.255.0, MTU 9000, and your computer a static IP address (it has a 10G port you said) of 192.168.2.11, 255.255.255.0, MTU 9000, and click on GO> Connect To Server> smb: //192.168.2.3
the qNAP will now mount, and you will see close to 1000 MB/sec.
This has NOTHING to do with your AT+T Router. This is a direct, dedicated connection from your computer to your QNAP 10G Ethernet port.

No wall plates, no hubs, no switches, no nothing - just the cheap Cat 6 cable they gave you when you got your QNAP.

Bob Zelin

edit Mr. Burger writes -
This is my first time with a server so I have very limited knowledge, but it seems somehow my 10gbe port is on a 1gbe network (despite the manual IP addresses) and this is why I'm getting slow speeds?

is it really difficult to run a single direct cable from your computer to your QNAP ethernet port 1 ? to do these tests ?
If you say "well, then how am I going to get wired internet into my computer" - you buy a Belkin USB-C to 1G Ethernet adapter for $25

Bob
cinemattix
Starting out

Post by cinemattix »

Hey Bob
Ummmmm sorry but I dont have a 10gbe on my Mac mini --Just the 1gbe and Im getting over 1000 MB with Thunderbolt right now -Thats my speed test above. 300mb is my Internet speed (I was just giving specs) -my IO Is running well above 1000mb.
I do like your direct connection -but what do I need it if Im getting over 1000mb

Matt
Bob Zelin
Experience counts

Post by Bob Zelin »

for your Mac mini, you purchase this -
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... olt_3.html

and now you will have a 10G port on your thunderbolt 3 M1 Mac mini. You are not editing 4K media in Adobe Premiere over a 1G connection.
It is important for you to understand the difference with the speeds. When you say you have 300 mb for your internet speed and 1000 mb for your IO -
you are referring to Mb/sec, or Megabits per second. 1000 Megabits per second is 100 MB/sec (Megabytes per second). A 100 MB/sec connection is typically not fast enough to do 4K video editing with Adobe Premiere, Davinci Resolve, etc, which is why pro editors use 10G Ethernet (10G is 1000 MB/sec).

You need to purchase a thunderbolt 3 to 10G adapter for your Mac mini computer - you can get these from Sonnet or Other World Computing. Then you have a direct connection (wired, no WiFi, no internet) from your computer to your QNAP using 10G ethernet, and you will no longer have any speed issues.

Bob Zelin

Return to “Mac OS”