Brand new TVS-472XT Thunderbolt constantly disconnecting

Questions about using NAS on Mac OS.
meremortal
Starting out

Brand new TVS-472XT Thunderbolt constantly disconnecting

Post by meremortal »

Hi,

I've set up a new TVS-472XT using Thunderbolt to connect to a new Mac Studio with a new Apple Thunderbolt cable.

Since plugging in the Thunderbolt connection I've been getting notifications from the QNAP of disconnected/connected

-------------------------------------------------

[Info][Network & Virtual Switch] Notification from your device: NEWQNAP

NAS Name: NEWQNAP
Severity: Info
Date/Time: 2022/08/30 07:05:23

App Name: Network & Virtual Switch
Category: Thunderbolt
Message: [Network & Virtual Switch] Thunderbolt adapter "Thunderbolt port 1" disconnected.

-----------------------------------------------

[Info][Network & Virtual Switch] Notification from your device: NEWQNAP

NAS Name: NEWQNAP
Severity: Info
Date/Time: 2022/08/30 07:10:22

App Name: Network & Virtual Switch
Category: Thunderbolt
Message: [Network & Virtual Switch] Thunderbolt adapter "Thunderbolt port 1" connected.

---------------------------------------------

There is no pattern or discernible reason for the constant disconnect/reconnect and it's been happening intermittently. Sometimes three times in an hour then not at all for four or five hours then again two or three times.

I don't have the money to buy a 10GB switch and I would prefer not to have to buy another Thunderbolt cable as they aren't cheap and I've just purchased this QNAP, drives and SSD's.

The Mac Studio is running MacOS Monterey 12.5

The QNAP is running firmware 5.0.0.2131 and it's the Intel i3 version with 4GB RAM.

Any ideas gratefully appreciated.

Appreciate your time.

Kind regards
cinemattix
Starting out

Re: Brand new TVS-472XT Thunderbolt constantly disconnecting

Post by cinemattix »

Hey there I have a 67xt and had the same problem --it was the firmware version --either go back to the last QTS 4 or go to the latest 5.0.1

Try that first and see if the speeds come back --there was an issue with 5.0.0. Im on 12.6 OSX

Matt
meremortal
Starting out

Post by meremortal »

Emails1redacted.jpg
Emails3.JPG
Emails2.JPG
Hi,

OK that's great to hear.
It's currently on Version QTS 5.0.1.2145 (03-09-2022) but I've had the thunderbolt disconnected from the Mac Studio for a couple of weeks because it was driving me and the user insane.
QNAP support are at a loss.
I've posted some screenshots of the issue. Disconnect, reconnect. Disconnect, reconnect. Over and over and over.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
meremortal
Starting out

Post by meremortal »

At this stage I've given up. Tried multiple cables, ports. Tested on a Dell XPS 15 and an older Macbook Pro worked fine. No issues. On the BRAND NEW Mac Studio it's garbage. SO frustrating as it's the PRIMARY reason we bought this QNAP. The user is working over standard ethernet currently. Might go 10GB switch but it's just more expense and TB SHOULD work. When it works it's fantastic and fast but the constant drop outs are death.

Only thing I've not tried is using a Thunderbolt hub in between as there has been a suggestion it's a voltage issue. I've been busy. I'll try that at some stage.

Return to “Mac OS”