Constant Disconnects from TVS-872XT over 10Gb AND Tbolt

Questions about using NAS on Mac OS.
cinemattix
Starting out

Re: Constant Disconnects from TVS-872XT over 10Gb AND Tbolt

Post by cinemattix »

This is my findings and result --read here viewtopic.php?f=30&t=167531

I also connect to (Thunderbolt) not AFP
im on osx 12.6 and Qnap 5.0.1 (2145) the most up to date firmware).running on a Mac mini M1 -Connections are stable --Set your power to not let the Mac fall asleep --thats just asking for problems with an editing system-set your monitor to go to sleep --its not gonna hurt your Mac to run --it has not moving parts.

Attached is my speeds im getting

Matt. --Right now Adobe premiere 22.2 has been the most responsive I have tested so far --22.6.2 lags so bad -drives me crazy --uggghhhh
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bob Zelin
Experience counts

Post by Bob Zelin »

Hello -
it's November 11th, 2022 as I respond to this.
I install QNAP's every day, and most of my installs involve Apple computers.

There is NO QUESTION that Apple Computers with a modern OS (like 10.12 running on a new Mac Studio) - randomly disconnects often using SMB.
And Apple is absolutely "degrading" the AFP network protocol, even though they have not officially discontinued it yet.

I am writing this, because I had a client, for the last two days - who was driving both me and QNAP support crazy about how he had a new Mac Studio with the native 10G port
connected to a QNAP TVS-h1688X, and how inconvenienced he was, because the QNAP kept dismounting from his Mac Studio. So of course, we changed cables, updated firmware in the QNAP
switch, bypassed the QNAP switch and went direct into the 10G port on the QNAP, updated the QNAP firmware, bla, bla, bla.
And he called QNAP support in Pomona California to complain - to no avail (because it HAD to be the QNAP's problem).

So I just received an email, just before writing this - late yesterday afternoon, he got a Win 11 PC with a 10G card, and now, his system (running Adobe Premiere) is running rock solid, and
never disconnecting from the QNAP.

So why is this happening ? I have no idea. I emailed QNAP in Taiwan about this, but if they don't have someone privy to Apple, to discuss this - then I don't know what can be done.
It's easy to do a Google search, and see all the posts about this (not QNAP related, but about Mac's disconnecting from assorted network servers using SMB).

I have tried all the "fixes" and "patches" - but patches like Apples "serverperfmode" does NOT apply to the newer M1 Apple computers.
Yea - it's very very frustrating - but it's not the QNAP. But people love to blame QNAP for everything !

Bob Zelin
Bob Zelin / Rescue 1, Inc.
http://www.bobzelin.com
gotfat
Starting out

Post by gotfat »

Hi all.
We have the same problem. I encourage all to write to Apple and to help make it easy please copy paste from my submission:

Link to support site: https://www.apple.com/feedback/

My message:
Hello.
We have +10 macs including 2 of the new Mac Studio in our productions company. We work on a fast 10GbE network from a NAS video server with proper cabling and setup.
It seems that, unlike Windows, Mac OS's SMB protocol is really unstable. We experience a lot of random connection issues where our work stations are being disconnected from the video server. Thus making it REALLY hard to get our work done. On our 2 Windows computeres there are never a problem. This is a problem experienced by a lot of creative professionals and is not related to neither our networking hardware or NAS. It such a shame that this is a Mac only problem. In the end if this is not fixed we will seriously consider switching our whole editing environment to PCs instead.
Best regards,
rakeller
Starting out

Post by rakeller »

Hi all, I am having the same issue:

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=168538#p832457
InnovateTim
New here

Post by InnovateTim »

Hey folks,

Same problem here. Have just built a production server for my client that are all editing from M1 Macs. Safe to say it's been a long week... Here's the specs:

QNAP TS-435XeU is the NAS. It has 4 drives, an M.2 and is set to a static IP.
QNAP QSW-M2108R-2C is our switch. Connected to the NAS via 10G direct attach.

Our Macs are connected to the switch via 2.5g adapters from Anker.

They appear fine, mount volumes easily over SMB once we give them their static IPs and usually behave well and fast for file transfers.
However, often when rendering video or scrubbing through footage (so, fairly high throughput tasks) the volume disconnects out of nowhere. This can be re-connected fairly easily, but when you're 30 minutes into a 40 minute render this is very frustrating.

I've suggested moving onto AFP and will see how they get on. But for now, does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Toxic17
Ask me anything

Post by Toxic17 »

InnovateTim wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:40 am
I've suggested moving onto AFP and will see how they get on. But for now, does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks,
I had just written a post regarding SMB and optimising: viewtopic.php?f=185&t=169262

SMBv3 was shown to be faster in this review: https://photographylife.com/afp-vs-nfs- ... erformance
Regards Simon

Qnap Downloads
MyQNap.Org Repository
Submit a ticket • QNAP Helpdesk
QNAP Tutorials, User Manuals, FAQs, Downloads, Wiki
When you ask a question, please include the following

NAS: TS-673A QuTS hero h5.1.2.2534 • TS-121 4.3.3.2420 • APC Back-UPS ES 700G
Network: VM Hub3: 500/50 • UniFi UDM Pro: 3.2.9 • UniFi Network Controller: 8.0.28
USW-Aggregation: 6.6.61 • US-16-150W: 6.6.61 • 2x USW Mini Flex 2.0.0 • UniFi AC Pro 6.6.62 • UniFi U6-LR 6.6.62
UniFi Protect: 2.11.21/8TB Skyhawk AI • 3x G3 Instants: 4.69.55 • UniFi G3 Flex: 4.69.55 • UniFi G5 Flex: 4.69.55
InnovateTim
New here

Post by InnovateTim »

Thanks Simon,

My problem isn't speeds with SMB. When the connection is up it's perfectly fast, it just frequently disconnects when rendering projects.
We've now tried moving to AFP to no avail, same problem.

I'm split between thinking my NAS CPU or RAM can't handle it, the switch can't handle it, or the network adapters we're using on our client devices aren't properly compatible.
anotherusername
Starting out

Post by anotherusername »

Same problem here. I normally leave afp disabled because time machine only works with SMB (!), but if I have a lot of unattended data transferring to do then I switch SMB off, afp on and disable time machine and I never see disconnects on afp.

Not much help, I guess, but just posting for solidarity.
BladedGrub0
First post

Post by BladedGrub0 »

Anyone found a solution? My nas was working fine for a long time. I had to do a reset and an update a week ago. Since then, some of the mac device disconnects every 15 mins.
Darthajack
Starting out

Post by Darthajack »

Having the same problem, Ventura 13.13, QNAP TS-231P (yes it's old). Have always been using SMB for file transfers, mostly movies of 2Gb to 10Gb. But when I tried to transfer a 24Gb file, the connection kept dropping within a minute of two. Retried multiple times. Just can't do it. With AFP I get permission problems, but that's another issue and I don't want to use AFP.

Anyone found a solution to prevent SMB from disconnecting?
a13antichrist
Know my way around

Post by a13antichrist »

I don't care which protocol needs to be used, as long as one of them does. I don 't have any current issues but am certainly curious to understand whether SMB or AFP is considered the best option atm.
TVS-871 @ 58tb formatted R6, Mellanox MCX312b 10Gbe,
R9 5950x || RTX3090 || 64Gb 3600Mhz || Intel X520 10Gbe
MbP M1 Max || 32C GPU || 64Gb || QNAP T310G1S SFP+ 10Gbe
R3 2200G mini HTPC
Mikrotik switches & routers
OpenWRT & DD-WRT wifi
doncarajo
New here

Post by doncarajo »

I have a 2017 Intel iMac and a TS-653A and for the past few weeks I've also been noticing random disconnects of the iMac from the network drives. They are a mixture of SMB and AFP volumes. I use Automounter which has been working fine for years, but every few days the drives are unmounted and unable to be remounted unless I reboot the QNAP. Real pain in the arse. Is this somehow related?
BayouTiger
New here

Post by BayouTiger »

Not sure why everyone is blaming protocols in this thread. I have perodically had the same issue with the 10GB ports on my TVS1282T. When it drops, it's not the mount that is the issue, but the hardware link. Doesn't make any difference what protocol is being used if the hardware link is broken. When it happens it is like the card is dead, but it still shows in the Virtual Switch page on the GUI. IN other cases, reseating the card in the NAS will fix it, other times not. 1GBE adapters are always fine.

Really started happening in the past year or so. I have had this unit running 24/7 since 2016 and this is a recent issue. As for Tb, that was a true waste of money. It's never worked well as it is implemented as a separate TB bridge network rather than a TB device. as such it can't connect on a TB string but needs a dedicated port or the other members of the chain will try to bounce between the NAS and Mac.

Return to “Mac OS”