MacOS Sierra + TS-251 AFP/SMB Problems

Questions about using NAS on Mac OS.
southpaw
Starting out

MacOS Sierra + TS-251 AFP/SMB Problems

Post by southpaw »

Hello all,

Prior to upgrading to MacOS Sierra, I didn't have any problems at all connecting to my TS-251. Upon login, auto mount in Finder happened almost instantly and file transfer rates were fantastic @ 110 down/up under AFP and slightly slower under SMB.

Post MacOS Sierra upgrade (early October):
1. Mount time has increased from about 1 second to approximately 15 seconds. My aging WD MyBook Live still mounts in approximately 1 second.
2. Transfer rates under AFP have changed - still getting around 110 down but only 70 up; transfer rates under SMB were painfully slow at close to 50 down/up! I turned off signing (https://dpron.com/os-x-10-11-5-slow-smb/) and SMB is now running at 110 down/up which is great though had I not learned about this, SMB performance would not be acceptable.
3. Transfer reliability under AFP is horrible. While I can transfer 1-2 files from my local drive to the NAS, try copying 50+ files and the great spinning ball will re-appear, often necessitating a force quit. Transfer reliability under SMB is good however. Thing is, I would prefer to use AFP as it's easier for my kids to just click on the AFP share in Finder vs. having to choose "connect to server". Why not just click on the SMB share in Finder? It doesn't work half the time!

I've subsequently updated QTS to the latest version - no change whatsoever. I'm hoping either Apple or QNAP can get this fixed shortly. If there are other suggestions, let me know.

Thanks,
Jason
Ben_beton
Know my way around

Re: MacOS Sierra + TS-251 AFP/SMB Problems

Post by Ben_beton »

have you updated to Sierra 10.12.2 already?
TS-251 - QTS 4.3.3.0210 build 20170606
southpaw
Starting out

Post by southpaw »

Hi - yes, I'm on 10.12.2 and QTS 4.2.2.

Adding to this, just setup a Win 10 box which synced to the QNAP instantly without issue.

I'd really like to hear from others who have this working without issue with Macs so I can rule out anything specific at my end vs. a problem with either Apple or QNAP.
nogi
Getting the hang of things

Post by nogi »

I've had nothing but issues with QNAP playing nice with Mac OS since El Capitan
TS-653Pro with 4.1.1 build 20141101
southpaw
Starting out

Post by southpaw »

Managed to an old Macbook running Snow Leopard to check connectivity. What a difference! The SMB share connects instantly, no problems at all. The AFP share takes about 10 seconds to mount but is fine from that point forward.

An update on my original post, connecting via SMB is now hit and miss. I'd say 2/5 times Finder tells me "there was a problem connecting to the server" yet under AFP no problem however AFP still suffers from file transfer reliability.

Frustrated...
cybermirror
First post

Post by cybermirror »

I got a similar problem with TS-251A QTS 4.2.3
When I connect my Mac mini running macOS Sierra 10.12.3 to TS-251A by AFP, any saving of files (pdf by Preview, numbers, pages, keynote etc), the mouse point just keep spinning forever. Need to force quit the app. After quitting the app,temporary folder is left behind in the same folder. The updated file is found inside that temporary folder.
For my MBA running on OSX El Captain 10.11.6, nothing is wrong. There is just a warning that there is no support on permanent version change (something like that) which is normal.

Does anyone has any clue to solve?
farba000
Starting out

Post by farba000 »

southpaw wrote:Managed to an old Macbook running Snow Leopard to check connectivity. What a difference! The SMB share connects instantly, no problems at all. The AFP share takes about 10 seconds to mount but is fine from that point forward.

An update on my original post, connecting via SMB is now hit and miss. I'd say 2/5 times Finder tells me "there was a problem connecting to the server" yet under AFP no problem however AFP still suffers from file transfer reliability.

Frustrated...
Can you swich smb system on qnap to sbm 3.0 ?
Generally share over smb always be slower vers. AFP :)

Wysłane z iPhone za pomocą Tapatalk
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

All,

Please share exctly on how you access / mount the NAS by SMB or AFP ... various options, to many in fact. Via the NAS Bonjour announcements like NAS(AFP), NAS(SMB), for SAMBA via the NetBIOS annoucement NAS (blue PC icon) in macOS Finder, by using smb://[NAS-IP-address]/ resp. afp://[NAS-IP-address]/, by using the Bonjour names smb://NAS.local./ resp. afp://NAS.local./ ... and then by using what process on the Mac?

TIA,
-Kurt.
southpaw
Starting out

Post by southpaw »

farba000 - yes, this is set to SMB 3.0. Speed is on par with AFP provided you turn off signing in Sierra as per my original post (note some of the dangers in doing this; personally not a concern given how I use).

schumaku - I've been mounting in all the ways mentioned whether 'connect to server' in Finder or via the Bonjour references in the sidebar.

I have some good news to add. I reached out to QNAP support on this matter and within a couple days they had someone assigned to take a look at my situation and figure out what was going on. Tonight I had a remote session with the tech (very knowledgeable, local guy too) who took a look through the NAS and checked everything out. Nothing out of the ordinary which is good, though what he ended up doing was:
a) removing all of the Apple hidden folders across each of my shares. Apparently these are known to get corrupted and can cause file transfer/stability issues.
b) enabled SAMBA in Bonjour which I didn't have turned on (no idea why I didn't think of checking there prior)

With the limited testing I did tonight, I've found:
a) mount times are now faster - though still not as fast as my aged 2008 Macbook with Snow Leopard which continues to be instant mount on SMB; ~5 sec on AFP. Not sure if this is Apple or QNAP but as mentioned, an SMB share mount to my old WD NAS mounts near instantly under Sierra
b) AFP file transfer reliability seems solid - no problems reported with the exception of Apple Photos. One still can't export to an AFP share, only SMB. The tech said he was going to log this one with QNAP.
c) connection problems with SMB appear to be all gone!

Overall, I'm content enough at this point. Kudos to QNAP for providing prompt support.

One other thing - apparently in QTS 4.3, Apple Talk has been re-written - anxious to see any performance/mount improvements.

For reference, I'm including the steps the tech used to cleanup the Apple files:

Disable AFqP in WebGUI
/etc/init.d/atalk.sh stop

Remove the following folders from each share folder :
.AppleDB/
.DS_Store
._.DS_Store
.apdisk

/etc/init.d/atalk.sh start
Enable AFP in WebGUI

Cheers,
Jason
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

southpaw wrote:b) AFP file transfer reliability seems solid - no problems reported with the exception of Apple Photos. One still can't export to an AFP share, only SMB. The tech said he was going to log this one with QNAP.
Does Apple Photos support storing the library on (SMB) shared folders on the NAS now?
southpaw
Starting out

Post by southpaw »

Not sure about storing the library there - I used to have on an AFP share but performance was abysmal. I keep on an external SSD now instead, backing up to the QNAP.
pokrakam
Know my way around

Post by pokrakam »

For what it's worth, I have been using AFP for ages without a problem. I recently switched over to SMB, but am now back to AFP as SMB seems to have a few niggles.
In finder, it lists my NAS three times - SMB, AFP and Time Machine. I can click on either and it connects and shows my available shares on the NAS. SMB connects in around 2s, AFP takes 6 seconds.
Not sure how I initially set it up - I think once I did it via 'connect to server' it just remembered it.

With SMB I've had odd issues with file permissions and little niggles. I finally got to the bottom of one scenario where sometimes spaces in the filename would result in a permissions error. Same files present no problem under AFP. Am about to post a separate thread on that (which is how I stumbled across this thread).
southpaw
Starting out

Post by southpaw »

SMB has been rock solid for me since the fixes with the QNAP tech. Will wait to try out the AFP changes with the next major release of QTS though really, don't see why I would need to bother since SMB is where we're going (or many would say have already arrived) anyhow. Plus, the next major QTS release will support TimeMachine over SMB which was a major sticking point for many I understand (I use Chronosync instead).
Last edited by southpaw on Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
pokrakam
Know my way around

Post by pokrakam »

I wouldn't necessarily recommend everyone should jump to AFP, didn't mean it in that sense. My main reason for posting was my experience that something about SMB 'just ain't right', and AFP works better for me.
Apple has moved off AFP onto SMB2, there's some official blurb on it somewhere. That was the reason I tried to switch in first place.
Cbrad01
Know my way around

Post by Cbrad01 »

I have completely moved of AFP performance was horrible as Apple kept updating the OS.
It's as if Apple has walked away from it...

Return to “Mac OS”