Itunes

Questions about using NAS on Mac OS.
eric313131
New here

Itunes

Post by eric313131 »

Hello,
I need your advice here. I have a QNAP TS-453A and would like to do the following:
- Store the Itunes Folder on QNAP and access it in an internal network (not from external network)
- Store the Iphotos Folder on QNAP and access it in an internal network
Is this possible? Until now when I restart my Macintosh the connection to the QNAP Itunes Folder is lost…. Is this not allowed this configuration?
Thanks and best regards,
Eric
vestan_pance
Starting out

Re: Itunes

Post by vestan_pance »

Hi, did you get this sorted as I was hoping to do the same with iTunes, Photo's and iMovie.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

vestan_pance
Starting out

Post by vestan_pance »

Looks good thanks, will certainly try it when I get round to iTunes (Plex first!)

Seems to be a lot of evidence on the Apple forums that storing iPhoto or Photo's library on a NAS is not a good idea, as it can lead to a corrupt library - it seems it can only work on Mac OS Extended (Journal) file format.

I don't think it's possible though to use the NAS as the storage location for the iPhoto or Photo library
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

can't imagine that all the picture and video production companies in the world do not use network storage (the ones that predominantlyuse apple products) .. it must be possible to use it
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

dolbyman wrote:can't imagine that all the picture and video production companies in the world do not use network storage (the ones that predominantlyuse apple products) .. it must be possible to use it
They do - but they don't use iTunes, iPhoto, ...
vestan_pance
Starting out

Post by vestan_pance »

@dolbyman - I followed that link you sent which has enabled me to create an automator application which connects to my shared network drive on boot up. Fantastic, thanks for the tip :)

Now I just need to sort out what I can do with Photo's and iMovie (might have to leave these on my Mac) and to put together a backup procedure and I'm all done.

Return to “Mac OS”