TimeMachine SMB without AFP

Questions about using NAS on Mac OS.
Syl20_0
Starting out

TimeMachine SMB without AFP

Post by Syl20_0 »

Hi everybody,

I'm looking for help to configure TimeMachine on my QNAP TVS-1271U. I now that there is lot's of subjects about that but don't find the answer. I have also contact QNAP support. Hope community can help me :)

I have a network with both PC and Mac, and for the moment I use SMB and AFP at same time. I think that it's not a good solution to use both on the same environment, especially since Apple move to SMB.

So I want to migrate all on SMB and stop using AFP, the problem is that I want to keep TimeMachine. QNAP confirm that they support SMB for using TimeMachine but :
- if I activate the default TimeMachine sharing (TimeMachine@nas/TMBackup) it will activate AFP :evil: , even if TimeMachine will effectively use SMB.
- if I try to create a normal shared folder, with an account to connect to it, I cannot use it for TimeMachine (cannot see in GUI, error 45 in shell)

I try debbuging and follow lot's of tutorial but don't find a solution yet :
https://preview.qnap.com/en/how-to/tuto ... as-via-smb
http://www.levelofindirection.com/journ ... a-mac.html

NAS model : TVS-1271U
Firmware version : 4.3.3.0154 Build 20170413
Using Port Trunking (balance-alb)
Drive Configuration: RAID6 on 12 Disks

Client: MacOS Sierra 10.12.4

Hope you can help me,
Sylvain :geek:
schumaku
Guru

Re: TimeMachine SMB without AFP

Post by schumaku »

For now, QNAP does still falsely force AFP enabled on enabling the Backup - Time Machine service in QTS 4.3.3.

As there is one Time Machine announcement with both the AFP and the SMB protocols, modern Mac OS will choose SMB.

For the time being, you need to notify your users not using the NASname(AFP) host service announcement.
Syl20_0
Starting out

Re: TimeMachine SMB without AFP

Post by Syl20_0 »

Thank you for you answer,

I assume that all my Mac use SMB for Time Machine.
I have two NAS, apparently same configuration. The first one is in production and I can't do test easily, the second one is in backup so I use it for tests.

On the first one, I can mount a SMB (other than TMBackup) share to use for Time Machine but QTS Time Machine service is activated.
On the second one, I cannot do the same while the configuration looks the same (Time Machine service activated, SMB 3.0, AFP activated, same users ...)

I will try to deactivate Time Machine service on the first and see if it's still possible to use SMB share.
On the second one I have no idea why it's not working .. Is there something special/hidden to activate to use SMB Time Machine ?

Thank you for your help :)
Sylvain.

Return to “Mac OS”