Where has my TimeMachine gone?

Questions about using NAS on Mac OS.
sirdavy
Getting the hang of things

Where has my TimeMachine gone?

Post by sirdavy »

Hello

I haven't been able to back up my macbook to TimeMachine on my QNAP for a month. "TMBackup" is listed in the top half of my preference in System Preferences/Time Machine but when I select it the only option is to remove disk.

Not sure if this is relevant:
- I can connect to my QNAP through the Turbo-whatever browser interface and can see the TimeMachine details
- I can browse folders on my QNAP from shortcuts on my macbook desktop
- I can connect to my QNAP from Finder/Connect To Server using afp//whatever
- BUT QFinder cannot see my QNAP

I have looked through the so-called Time Machine Support doc but it only explains how to set up, not to fix. I suspect this is all something to do with updating the QNAP firmware, which it is constantly pestering me to do. Something always seems to go wrong after an update.

any help much appreciated

Thanks

(While I'm here...is there any way to change the settings in the QNAP so when I'm navigating the server from my TV I go straight to the Video folder rather than all the different other options)

NAS model : TS 221
Firmware version : 4.2.4 (2017.03.13)
Yosemite 10.10.5
English
RAID: MIrroring Disk Volume 1 2
schumaku
Guru

Re: Where has my TimeMachine gone?

Post by schumaku »

Hi,
sirdavy wrote:"TMBackup" is listed in the top half of my preference in System Preferences/Time Machine but when I select it the only option is to remove disk.
On the "Add/remove backup disk", the NAS does not show up as "TMBackup on NASname(TimeMachine)
sirdavy wrote:- I can connect to my QNAP from Finder/Connect To Server using afp//whatever
When using Finder, in the left pane Shared -> All - does NASname(AFP) and NASname(TimeMachine) show up? This would proof the Bonjour/mDNS announcements are up on the network and visible to the Mac (or not). TIme Machine App does relay on this information.

The Avahi daemon process is up?

[~] # ps -ef | grep avah
7044 guest 1784 S avahi-daemon: running [NASname.local]
sirdavy wrote:- BUT QFinder cannot see my QNAP
Qfinder does make use of Broadcast, for discovery plus some basic settings - mostly independent of mDNS, AFP, et all.

The bcclient process is up?

[~] # ps -ef | grep bc
7091 admin 1916 S /sbin/bcclient

First thing I would try is re-applying the firmware image again. Download the image for your NAS model from qnap.com - Support - Download, copy it to the ie. Public shared folder, and run this process -> https://wiki.qnap.com/wiki/Manually_Updating_Firmware
sirdavy wrote:(While I'm here...is there any way to change the settings in the QNAP so when I'm navigating the server from my TV I go straight to the Video folder rather than all the different other options)
Assuming you talk of a TV embedded DLNA client, to my knowledge a DLNA DMS can't make a DLNA DMC/DMR force to a specific folder or the like.

Regards,
-Kurt
sirdavy

Post by sirdavy »

Yes the NAS does show up as "TMBackup on NASname(TimeMachine)" above the line in Time Machine Preferences but the only options are to Cancel or Remove Disc. Other "Available Disks" (Home, Multimedia etc) show up below the line but not anything mentioning TimeMachine.

In Finder, in the left pane, yes NASname(AFP) is there but NASname(TimeMachine) is not.
The Avahi daemon process is up?

[~] # ps -ef | grep avah
7044 guest 1784 S avahi-daemon: running [NASname.local]
I'm sorry, I don't know what this means!
Qfinder does make use of Broadcast, for discovery plus some basic settings - mostly independent of mDNS, AFP, et all.

The bcclient process is up?

[~] # ps -ef | grep bc
7091 admin 1916 S /sbin/bcclient
Or this!
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

Disable and enable the Time Machine service on the NAS via the Control Panel / Hybrid Backup Sync / Backup Station.

For the cryptical stuff, open the Mac OS Terminal, from the $ prompt enter ssh admin@192.168.12.34 (with your NAS LAN iP address), enter the admin password where prompted, and the type or copy/paste the commands behind the NAS # prompt.
sirdavy

Post by sirdavy »

I unticked and reticked the Time Machine support using the browser Control Panel. This allowed Time Machine on my macbook to perform a back up. But overnight my problem has come back and unticking and reticking isn't working.

I'm sorry Schumaku I just don't understand the sequence of steps you're suggesting or feel confident about carrying them out. Isn't there some kind of one-and-done button I can press to make the qnap and time machine just work? Feels weird having to type in code to do something simple.
bendsch
Know my way around

Post by bendsch »

same issue here:
i get the following results: both clients seem to be running, but i am not seeing any timemachine nor afp broadcast in the finder sidebar (only windows broadcast is working). checked twice: afp-network, afp-broadcast, timemachine are all up and running. tried to turn off and on everything and rebooting the nas, nothing helped.

what could be the problem here?

cheers
b

[~] # ps -ef | grep avah
24319 admin S runsv avahi
24334 104 304 S avahi-daemon: running [DA2NAS.local]

[~] # ps -ef | grep bc
15467 admin 5532 S /sbin/bcclient
NASmodesl: TS-459 Pro+ , TS-251

Return to “Mac OS”