Connecting 3 computers directly

Questions about using NAS on Mac OS.
apinrise
New here

Connecting 3 computers directly

Post by apinrise »

Hey folks,

I did a search for this but couldn't find anything helpful. Some other topics came close, but seemed to be for other models and I couldn't follow instructions.

What I'm trying to do seems simple enough...I have three computers that I'm connecting to my QNAP TS-653A set to RAID 5. The computer plugged into Port 1 can access the Web Browser, and can connect via finder to the file folders that I hope to share amongst the local network. The other computers, connected to the other two ports can see the NAS device in Shared devices in finder, and show in the QNAP Qfinder, but cannot connect to the Web Browser either.

I'd like all of these devices to read and write to the Home holder on the QNAP. There's no internet access here other than a free wifi connection, so I don't want to connect the NAS to that. I just want three computers to read/write to the drive through the ethernet cables that connect them.

Is there some sort of setting or configuration option that I'm missing?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Ryan
OneCD
Guru

Re: Connecting 3 computers directly

Post by OneCD »

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Each of the Ethernet ports on the NAS is assigned a different network ID and it's not really the right way to do what you want. ;)

So, please connect your 3 computers to an Ethernet switch, and then run a single cable from the switch to your NAS.
Last edited by OneCD on Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
apinrise
New here

Post by apinrise »

Thanks for the welcome! So i have to buy a router in order to use the device? What's the point of it having 4 ethernet ports then?
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

The 4 Ethernet ports allow you to run 4 different LANs. They are not 1 port per device. ;)

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

apinrise wrote:Thanks for the welcome! So i have to buy a router in order to use the device?
No, you don't need a router. Only a Gigabit Ethernet switch.

apinrise
New here

Post by apinrise »

Okay. Thanks for clarifying!

Return to “Mac OS”