Office 2011 and AFP since 4.3

Questions about using NAS on Mac OS.
Russell_Prantner
New here

Office 2011 and AFP since 4.3

Post by Russell_Prantner »

I'm experiencing a weird little bug.

I updated my qnap (TS451) from 4.2 to 4.3.3 recently. Everything seemed to word fine, but two of my Mac OS Clients (El Capitan) have Problems the others don't. MS Office 2011 for Mac for example is starting, but when you try to close the program, the AFP connection disappears, Finder crashes and i have to kill -9 all office programs.
Working in MS Office seems to work fine; saving on NAS with afp also works. Only closing the program seems to be an issue.

Anyone have an idea what the problem could be? What is MS Office doing when you close the program?
To test if it was really the afp connection, i've tried tu use MS Office with no NAS connection and it worked fine.
I have tried uninstalling and removing everything i could find in /Library/ and ~/Library that seems to belong to MS Office. The problem remains.
storageman
Ask me anything

Re: Office 2011 and AFP since 4.3

Post by storageman »

Russell_Prantner wrote:I'm experiencing a weird little bug.

I updated my qnap (TS451) from 4.2 to 4.3.3 recently. Everything seemed to word fine, but two of my Mac OS Clients (El Capitan) have Problems the others don't. MS Office 2011 for Mac for example is starting, but when you try to close the program, the AFP connection disappears, Finder crashes and i have to kill -9 all office programs.
Working in MS Office seems to work fine; saving on NAS with afp also works. Only closing the program seems to be an issue.

Anyone have an idea what the problem could be? What is MS Office doing when you close the program?
To test if it was really the afp connection, i've tried tu use MS Office with no NAS connection and it worked fine.
I have tried uninstalling and removing everything i could find in /Library/ and ~/Library that seems to belong to MS Office. The problem remains.
Why AFP?
Try using SMB://
Russell_Prantner
New here

from experience afp has always worked much better than smb. In Yosemite and El Capitan (not long ago) I once tried changing to smb (since Mac OS preferes smb) and it was just slower and less reliable.

favorites inside network share disappearing in Finder
random disconnects
less speed
Trexx
Ask me anything

Post by Trexx »

Russell_Prantner wrote:from experience afp has always worked much better than smb. In Yosemite and El Capitan (not long ago) I once tried changing to smb (since Mac OS preferes smb) and it was just slower and less reliable.

favorites inside network share disappearing in Finder
random disconnects
less speed
SMB works just fine as long as you have disabled SMB signing.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205926

Office 2011 goes out of support Oct. 2017. I would definitely recommend upgrading to Office 2016 for Mac. I wouldn't be surprised if this also doesn't fix some of your issues as well.
Paul

Model: TS-877-1600 FW: 4.5.3.x
QTS (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x 1TB WD Blue m.2's
Data (HDD): [RAID-5] 6 x 3TB HGST DeskStar
VMs (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x1TB SK Hynix Gold
Ext. (HDD): TR-004 [Raid-5] 4 x 4TB HGST Ultastor
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 64GB DDR4-2666
UPS: CP AVR1350

Model:TVS-673 32GB & TS-228a Offline[/color]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Plex NAS Compatibility Guide | QNAP Plex FAQ | Moogle's QNAP Faq
Russell_Prantner
New here

guess i'll give smb another try...

thanks for the tip

Return to “Mac OS”