Can't change SMB setting from 2.1 to 3. Please help!

Questions about using NAS on Mac OS.
Gappiya
New here

Can't change SMB setting from 2.1 to 3. Please help!

Post by Gappiya »

Hi Guys,

Very new to QNAP and whole NAS thing.

Anyway I am trying to create a folder on the NAS so I can use it as my TimeMachine folder. So this way I can create a automatic sync job to Amazon Drive overnight.

1. QNAP's default TMBackup is visible to TimeMachine but I can't see this folder on the Hybrid-BackUp-Sync app so I can't use this method to sync to cloud.

2. Now as per help doc I am trying to create a custom folder and activate SMB 3.0 settings but for some reason system wont' save my settings.

Please help! :(

https://ibb.co/dLMB2F
Gappiya
New here

Re: Can't change SMB setting from 2.1 to 3. Please help!

Post by Gappiya »

Macbook pro info:
Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro11,1
Processor Name: Intel Core i5
Processor Speed: 2.6 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 8 GB

Model:TS-228
Current firmware version:4.3.3.0262
Date:2017/07/27
System up time:0 Day(s) 1 Hour(s) 32 Minute(s)
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

Gappiya wrote:Can't change SMB setting from 2.1 to 3. Please help!
-> viewtopic.php?f=160&t=134623#p629242
Gappiya wrote:1. QNAP's default TMBackup is visible to TimeMachine but I can't see this folder on the Hybrid-BackUp-Sync app so I can't use this method to sync to cloud.
Curious what you want to sync to the cloud ... there are no "user" files in this folder at all, there are one or many spares files which Time Machine does mount as a file system on the Mac only ... so there are documents, photos, spreadsheets, videos or the like accessible ... and finally replicateble to the cloud.
Gappiya wrote:2. Now as per help doc I am trying to create a custom folder and activate SMB 3.0 settings but for some reason system wont' save my settings.
Whatever help doc, nothing anywhere near to supported or official. The above link might help - still, not convinced this will do what you expect.

The only workable way to maintain Time Machine backups on multiple destinations is using multiple "real" (Apple devices) or "logical" (ie. NAS) Time Capsules.

Regards,
-Kurt
Gappiya
New here

Post by Gappiya »

Hi Kurt, Thanks a lot for the super fast reply.

Well, what I trying to do is back up my entire mac to my Amazon drive (or any cloud). This way in case my mac got lost, damaged or stolen I don't loose my files. There are plenty of solution that backups my files but not my entire mac with applications and settings. I am trying to look for a solution where I can automate back up so if something happens I can restore immediately (1-2 hours) and continue working.

Return to “Mac OS”