my NAS is visible to my neighbours! solution?

Questions about using NAS on Mac OS.
luduz
Starting out

my NAS is visible to my neighbours! solution?

Post by luduz »

Hi, I'm new to NAS and have the TS-251 running at my home. I've uploaded all my files to it and now I'm starting to learn how to use it for backup.
Here is one issue I discovered this morning: since I share the wireless network with my friends and neighbours, my NAS is visible to them as a "shared device". I just saw how easily they can access to it via the mac's finder!
How can it be secured with the same login password that I use? right now it opens like a folder from the "shared".

Thank you for your help!
Trexx
Ask me anything

Re: my NAS is visible to my neighbours! solution?

Post by Trexx »

If you are using a shared wireless network there will only be so much you can do. That isn’t Qnap’s fault, but a risk of you have chosen to accept by using a shared wireless (I.e. a party line telephone for us OLD timers), Change admin passwords, disable bonjour, etc. will help but you will still have some risk.

Best answer will be, get your own dedicated internet service that doesn’t involve shared wireless. Also check folder permissions for any ones that allow everyone group. Generally Public will.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Last edited by Trexx on Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul

Model: TS-877-1600 FW: 4.5.3.x
QTS (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x 1TB WD Blue m.2's
Data (HDD): [RAID-5] 6 x 3TB HGST DeskStar
VMs (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x1TB SK Hynix Gold
Ext. (HDD): TR-004 [Raid-5] 4 x 4TB HGST Ultastor
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 64GB DDR4-2666
UPS: CP AVR1350

Model:TVS-673 32GB & TS-228a Offline[/color]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Plex NAS Compatibility Guide | QNAP Plex FAQ | Moogle's QNAP Faq
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

or put your neighborhood on a guest wifi ..without lan access
Don
Guru

Post by Don »

Disable guest access on your shares.
Use the forum search feature before posting.

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
NAS: TVS-h674 | F/W: 5.0.1.2376 | 16GB | 3 x 18TB RAID 5
Apps: DNSMasq, PLEX, iDrive, QVPN, QLMS, MP3fs, HBS3, Entware, DLstation, VS, +

Return to “Mac OS”