How exactly would Qsirch help Spotlight find files?

Questions about using NAS on Mac OS.
Austro-Diesel
New here

Re: How exactly would Qsirch help Spotlight find files?

Post by Austro-Diesel »

Spotlight definitely doesn't work with QSirch indizes. I tried everything possible, different network protocols, different MacOS versions, reinstalling QSirch ... TS-431X2 (8 GB) and TS-832X (8 GB) ... searching from the Finder results in a recursive "manual" search through all folders which needs some time on well filled volumes.

Use AFP connection instead of SMB and the MacOS apps FindAnyFile or EasyFind to search very fast for filenames and folders, but not for contents. These utilities use the filesystem index which is part of the AFP system which still works fine. As SMB doesn't offer this service both utilities fall back to recursive search like the MacOS Finder.

Searching for file contents is only possible by QSirch.
torch1
Know my way around

Post by torch1 »

If Qsirch is built on ElasticSearch, then it will not be supported until Samba 4.12 (QNAP 4.4.1 is built with Samba 4.7
https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba-t ... 34857.html
chrisonnas
Getting the hang of things

Post by chrisonnas »

Austro-Diesel wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:24 pm Use AFP connection instead of SMB and the MacOS apps FindAnyFile or EasyFind to search very fast for filenames and folders, but not for contents. These utilities use the filesystem index which is part of the AFP system which still works fine.
Yes, this is a great workaround. I guess this doesnt even use Qsirch either! thanks
joeydping
First post

Post by joeydping »

Is this problem resolved already? Does Qsirch work with Spotlight now?
chrisonnas

Post by chrisonnas »

joeydping wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:43 pm Is this problem resolved already? Does Qsirch work with Spotlight now?
Nope. Searching from the Finder comes up blank for all searches. Not even working for filenames.

I have added "EasyFind" to the Finder ToolBar, but I have to remember to click it and search in the app, rather than use the Finder search box.
chrisonnas

Post by chrisonnas »

Following up on this post, I did further investigations to see what is happening on my Mac. Following suggestions at https://care.qumulo.com/hc/en-us/articl ... and-Qumulo I ran:

Code: Select all

#ls -la /private/var/db/Spotlight-V100/Volumes/ 
one of the results of that search is a folder called afp...[user]@QNAP.local(AFP)._afpovp.local%2[share-name]

This shows that Spotlight IS indexing the shared drive. This is confirmed by running

sudo mdutil -s /Volumes/volume_name
and running the following command results in lots of wifi activity as my laptop has mdworker scanning the files to build the spotlight index:

sudo mdutil -E -i off /Volumes/volume_name && sudo mdutil -i on /Volumes/volume_name
Despite all this network activity, and the presence of a spotlight index in that hidden folder, the Finder STILL FINDS NOTHING. Not even a file name present in the folder I am currently looking at. Its totally broken.
chrisonnas

Post by chrisonnas »

More searching - it turns out that AFP (apple file shareing) on QNAP is provided by netatalk, which supports Spotlight as of version 3.1, but it needs support from other software (dbus and Gnome tracker) which is missing from the NAS OS. Checking afpd -v on the QNAP confirms that spotlight is NOT supported:

# afpd -V
afpd 3.1.9.q1 - Apple Filing Protocol (AFP) daemon of Netatalk

This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under
the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software
Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later
version. Please see the file COPYING for further information and details.

afpd has been compiled with support for these features:

AFP versions:	2.2 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 
         CNID backends:	cdb dbd last tdb 
      Zeroconf support:	No
  TCP wrappers support:	No
         Quota support:	Yes
   Admin group support:	Yes
    Valid shell checks:	Yes
      cracklib support:	No
            EA support:	ad | sys
           ACL support:	Yes
          LDAP support:	Yes
         D-Bus support:	No
     Spotlight support:	No
         DTrace probes:	No

afp.conf:	/usr/local/etc/afp.conf
           extmap.conf:	/usr/local/etc/extmap.conf
       state directory:	/var/netatalk/
    afp_signature.conf:	/var/netatalk/afp_signature.conf
      afp_voluuid.conf:	/var/netatalk/afp_voluuid.conf
       UAM search path:	/root/daily_build/64_40/4.4.2/Model/TS-X51/build/RootFS/usr/local/etc/netatalk/uams//
  Server messages path:	/var/netatalk/msg/
Awen2000
New here

Post by Awen2000 »

I feel like Qsirch is working with my Finder now. Cause Finder really finds file name in seconds. I got 40K files in total 600G on the nas. But after all these with Qnap, I've decided to go Synology. Setting up Spotlight indexing on a Synology nas is within a minute and start to working as the indexing done.

I just have both a Qnap and a Synology nas. The Qnap one is running backup tasks only now. It was my first nas and did all the tasks. But Qnap just waste my time with their really poor response to customer. I don't like to spend more time with it.
chrisonnas

Post by chrisonnas »

How did you get it working then?
chrisonnas

Post by chrisonnas »

seems like someone got it working:
viewtopic.php?f=361&t=153194&p=751871&h ... ht#p751871

shame our threads didnt find each other!
realdannys
Starting out

Post by realdannys »

I still can't get this to work - i'm running QuTS Hero if that makes any difference (probably as half the usual feature from QTS seem to be missing)
bokr71
Been there, done that

Post by bokr71 »

I never found out how to get this working. No one has been able to confirm how to get QSIRCH working with the Mac Finder.

ANyone?
Apple: MS M1 Max 10c/32c/16c/64GB/2TB - MP 3.2GHz 16c/192GB/2TB/2xRadeon Pro - nMP 3.5GHz 6C/64GB/1TB/D700 - Echo Express 1TB Accelsior/4x500GB NVMe Sonnet/Sonnet Solo10G PCIe - MBP 13" 4c i7/16GB/512GB - MBP 14" M1 Pro/16GB/512GB - MB 12" 4c i7/16GB/512GB - MMI 6c i5/8GB/500GB - 2 x TC 3TB - HomePods - iPhones, iPads and Apple Watches...

Primary NAS: QNAP TVS-872XT 7x10TB + 2x512GB NVMe SSD. BackUp: Cloud iDrive - Locally QNAP TR-004 4x12TB

Network: ISP Gtateway - TP-Link Deco - QNAP QSW-M408-4C
chrisonnas

Post by chrisonnas »

Spotlight does technically work for searching in the Finder, its just amazingly slow. A search on my NAS folder containing music for the word "dylan" comes up with 100 hits, which are a mix of files/folders matching the name and also tracks with ID tags containing the name. Only issue is that it takes about 20 seconds to return the results.

Oh, and I just looked back at the finder window and after typing the above its updated and now saying 300 results... which is probably more complete but I guess its hit a maximum for the results. I guess that took a full minute to return.

I tried again with a search for the word "homesick" and that took about 50 seconds and returned 4 items, 3 with it in the name and one from the file contents.

So, in summary - yes it works, but you are probably not patient enough to wait for the results. Its NOT the spotlight experience we are used to!!
echeng
New here

Post by echeng »

Does QSirch work with AFP shares? I'm dealing with the dreaded watchdog kernel panics when SMB shares are left connected and the display turns off, so I've had to switch to AFP until this issue is resolved.

Return to “Mac OS”