How exactly would Qsirch help Spotlight find files?

Questions about using NAS on Mac OS.
RedaLazri
Starting out

How exactly would Qsirch help Spotlight find files?

Post by RedaLazri »

Hello,

I'm talking about this entry in the changelog from 4.3.5:

- After installing Qsirch, Mac users can now use Spotlight to search files in their mounted QNAP NAS.

I have both installed, I spent a lot of time fixing a 2-years-old problem in my Spotlight configuration just so I can use this feature. Now what?
nick314
Getting the hang of things

Re: How exactly would Qsirch help Spotlight find files?

Post by nick314 »

Now it doesn't work. Report it through the Helpdesk app as I have...
macnap
Know my way around

Post by macnap »

Index and wait for the feature to function. To search the NAS, one needs to use the search box and select the ‘shared’ option.
QNAP TS410 -> (8 years) -> TS431X (Plastic casing?) :-0
RedaLazri
Starting out

Post by RedaLazri »

nick314 wrote:Now it doesn't work. Report it through the Helpdesk app as I have...
Wierd that it doesn't work the moment they announce it. :\
RedaLazri
Starting out

Post by RedaLazri »

macnap wrote:Index and wait for the feature to function. To search the NAS, one needs to use the search box and select the ‘shared’ option.
Did that, and it shows results but it's not clear whether it's because of the new feature or just Spotlight working normally as it should.
macnap
Know my way around

Post by macnap »

RedaLazri wrote:Did that, and it shows results but it's not clear whether it's because of the new feature or just Spotlight working normally as it should.
I understand that Spotlight on the Mac is using the Qsirch generated index for its work. Without Qsirch, Spotlight does not index these NAS drives. That's understanding but don't ask me why. Spotlight seemed to be able to index USB external HDDs though.
QNAP TS410 -> (8 years) -> TS431X (Plastic casing?) :-0
tinman7162
First post

Post by tinman7162 »

Is there any documentation on how this Qsirch - Spotlight integration is suppose to work? I am not seeing any difference in Spotlight searching speeds between a TS-231+(not able to run Qsirch) and a TS-453Be (which is able to run Qsirch.) I've tried searching using the "shared" option and the regular spotlight field - nothing.
HighPG
New here

Post by HighPG »

I'm looking for the same info. can't find any description.
glennmac
Know my way around

Post by glennmac »

I thought I posted this but can't find it now.. anyway I have it working on a TS-453Be beautifully but cannot get it working on a TS-473 at all. I have a ticket submitted. In the meantime if you can't get it to work there are some useful utilities out there. Take a look at EasyFind and Find Any File. I would prefer to get it working of course.
glennmac
Know my way around

Post by glennmac »

Hey I got Qsirch working. Tip for those that are having issues. Here is what I did. Delete the Qsirch app, restart the QNAP NAS, re-install Qsirch and re-index. Results started coming in right away.
glennmac
Know my way around

Post by glennmac »

spoke too soon. I discovered the problem I have is that the share searches while the folder index is still small and has not completed, but once it goes through the many thousands of files it fails and acts very strange. For instance it will not find: name contains "2019" yet it will find: name contains "2019 Calendar"

There is a second small share it searches without a problem. Conclusion is it chokes when the number of files is large. This is maybe 500GB of Microsoft docs.
anherd
New here

Post by anherd »

glennmac wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:06 am Hey I got Qsirch working. Tip for those that are having issues. Here is what I did. Delete the Qsirch app, restart the QNAP NAS, re-install Qsirch and re-index. Results started coming in right away.
I am having the same problems as everyone else. Does anyone here know what Qsirch is supposed to do on a Mac? Does it just search filenames and tags, or will it search comments as well? It would be extremely useful if it did the latter, but I would settle for tags!
RedaLazri
Starting out

Post by RedaLazri »

I have it working now. How could I be so sure:

- I have a blacklisted share that I don't want it indexed, I tried searching from the chrome window as well as in Finder and I'm NOT getting anything from that share.
- I am getting roughly the same results if I search with the same keyword.

HOWEVER:
- The results in Finder appear at a MUCH slower speed compared to the app on the NAS and I'm not sure why.
- Sometimes Finder would stop after displaying a few hits, for example I got 401 files on the app and 4 in Finder on one search but I got the exact number of hits when the results were supposed to be fewer, not sure if that's the problem though.

I'll spend some time investigating the speed issue, but it WORKS even though the experience is pretty crappy at the moment.
anherd
New here

Post by anherd »

Having some documentation would be a bonus. Apps like this are great to have, but it would be even better if it wasn't necessary to find out what they do by trial and error. Having read all the blurb on QNAP's webpage announcement, Qsirch appears only to index filenames and the contents of Word documents, AFAICS. It doesn't index user defined tags, which is a PITA and it doesn't index comments, which is even more of a PITA, since we use these extensively to identify clips and images. Being able to find every pic on the NAS which was taken at F8.0 is about as little help as being able to sort movies by bitrate. It would be great if there was some way to feed back on this, because with a bit of TLC Qsirch could be an awesome tool.
RedaLazri
Starting out

Post by RedaLazri »

anherd wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:03 am Having some documentation would be a bonus. Apps like this are great to have, but it would be even better if it wasn't necessary to find out what they do by trial and error. Having read all the blurb on QNAP's webpage announcement, Qsirch appears only to index filenames and the contents of Word documents, AFAICS. It doesn't index user defined tags, which is a PITA and it doesn't index comments, which is even more of a PITA, since we use these extensively to identify clips and images. Being able to find every pic on the NAS which was taken at F8.0 is about as little help as being able to sort movies by bitrate. It would be great if there was some way to feed back on this, because with a bit of TLC Qsirch could be an awesome tool.
You're wrong about indexing, Qsirch actually indexes many more aspects of a file, you can enable color indexing for photos so you can search by color, I have lots of PDF books and I'm able to find them by metadata (author,...etc), index, as well as search through their content. So yeah, it can do more than merely look through docx and EXIF info. But I agree that it has a lot of missing features/filtering, has problems as well as missing documentation and help. But, for me at least, it's helpful albeit taxing RAM-wise.

Return to “Mac OS”