How exactly would Qsirch help Spotlight find files?

Questions about using NAS on Mac OS.
anherd
New here

Re: How exactly would Qsirch help Spotlight find files?

Post by anherd »

RedaLazri wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:11 am
You're wrong about indexing, Qsirch actually indexes many more aspects of a file, you can enable color indexing for photos so you can search by color, I have lots of PDF books and I'm able to find them by metadata (author,...etc), index, as well as search through their content. So yeah, it can do more than merely look through docx and EXIF info. But I agree that it has a lot of missing features/filtering, has problems as well as missing documentation and help. But, for me at least, it's helpful albeit taxing RAM-wise.
It is certainly a step in the right direction--it just would be great if it did more. Let's hope the next version is more powerful and less memory hungry.
glennmac
Know my way around

Post by glennmac »

Followup on this issue. I have filed a ticket and QNAP has indicated this is a problem they are working on. From my end I have 2 customers with QNAP TS-473 brand new configurations that cannot search using Spotlight. In both cases the data was migrated from a Mac server. I'm not sure what the issue is but it seems to work on small volumes but not once any real size is involved. I have told both customers to use EasyFind, a third party free app.
glennmac
Know my way around

Post by glennmac »

Update, I did get it to work with one of the TS 473 QNAPs which makes this extra puzzling why it is not working with the other.
RedaLazri
Starting out

Post by RedaLazri »

Exactly, it doesn't work until it works fine. Messy is an understatement.
glennmac
Know my way around

Post by glennmac »

Found workaround for this as I posted in another thread. As simple as it sounds, reboot the qnap and it will work again.
chrisonnas
Getting the hang of things

Post by chrisonnas »

anherd wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:03 am Having some documentation would be a bonus. Apps like this are great to have, but it would be even better if it wasn't necessary to find out what they do by trial and error. Having read all the blurb on QNAP's webpage announcement, Qsirch appears only to index filenames and the contents of Word documents, AFAICS. It doesn't index user defined tags, which is a PITA and it doesn't index comments, which is even more of a PITA, since we use these extensively to identify clips and images. Being able to find every pic on the NAS which was taken at F8.0 is about as little help as being able to sort movies by bitrate. It would be great if there was some way to feed back on this, because with a bit of TLC Qsirch could be an awesome tool.
What an amazing idea /s

QNAP documentation appears to be totally non-existent. No point using a web browser to find my files, they need to be in the Finder discovered by Spotlight!
I'm installing Qsirch now and will see what happens. Finder searching at present is VERY slow.
peterhmac
New here

Post by peterhmac »

chrisonnas wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:19 am
anherd wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:03 am Having some documentation would be a bonus. Apps like this are great to have, but it would be even better if it wasn't necessary to find out what they do by trial and error. Having read all the blurb on QNAP's webpage announcement, Qsirch appears only to index filenames and the contents of Word documents, AFAICS. It doesn't index user defined tags, which is a PITA and it doesn't index comments, which is even more of a PITA, since we use these extensively to identify clips and images. Being able to find every pic on the NAS which was taken at F8.0 is about as little help as being able to sort movies by bitrate. It would be great if there was some way to feed back on this, because with a bit of TLC Qsirch could be an awesome tool.
What an amazing idea /s

QNAP documentation appears to be totally non-existent. No point using a web browser to find my files, they need to be in the Finder discovered by Spotlight!
I'm installing Qsirch now and will see what happens. Finder searching at present is VERY slow.
The Qsirch functionality in a webbrower is nice, and I use it daily, because until now it is the only possibility to find something quick.
We also need Finder searches to be supported by a Spotlight index to become usable. Now we have to wait 30sec - 5 minutes to find a file in the Finder.
I opened a support ticket on 15 november 2019 at QNAP support, and we are still communicating about it. Maybe they will do something about it when more people do this...
torch1
Know my way around

Post by torch1 »

Spotlight may have to be enabled in the smb.conf:
spotlight = yes
https://www.samba.org/samba/docs/curren ... onf.5.html
chrisonnas

Post by chrisonnas »

torch1 wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:42 pm Spotlight may have to be enabled in the smb.conf:
spotlight = yes
https://www.samba.org/samba/docs/curren ... onf.5.html
looks like we would need more than just one line in smb.conf:
- samba must be built with spotlight support
- mdssvc RPC service must be enabled
- Tracker needs to be installed and set up to do the actual indexing
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Spotlight

I dont know how much has already been done by QNAP, I dont have access to my NAS at present, so can't check whether mdssvc or tracker are present.
torch1
Know my way around

Post by torch1 »

fyi:
[/mnt/ext/opt/samba/sbin] # /mnt/ext/opt/samba/sbin/smbd -V
Version 4.7.12
[/mnt/ext/opt/samba/sbin] # /mnt/ext/opt/samba/sbin/smbd -b
--with Options:
WITH_ADS
WITH_AUTOMOUNT
WITH_DNS_UPDATES
WITH_PTHREADPOOL
WITH_QUOTAS
WITH_SENDFILE
WITH_SPOTLIGHT
WITH_SYSLOG
WITH_WINBIND
Builtin modules:
vfs_default vfs_posixacl auth_domain auth_builtin auth_sam auth_winbind rpc_mdssvc_module pdb_smbpasswd pdb_tdbsam auth_unix nss_info_template idmap_tdb idmap_passdb idmap_nss pdb_samba_dsdb auth_samba4 vfs_dfs_samba4 pdb_ldapsam idmap_ldap
chrisonnas

Post by chrisonnas »

OK, well one thing to try is this:
mount the QNAP share on the Mac and run
mdutil /Volumes/sharename -i on
chrisonnas

Post by chrisonnas »

chrisonnas wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:35 am mdutil /Volumes/sharename -i on
well, search now works in the Finder but I think all the indexing was done by my Mac, not the QNAP. I saw lots of network activity for an hour or so, then search started working.
storageman
Ask me anything

Post by storageman »

My understanding is Spotlight will use the Qsirch index (assuming it works).
RedaLazri
Starting out

Post by RedaLazri »

chrisonnas wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:48 pm
chrisonnas wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:35 am mdutil /Volumes/sharename -i on
well, search now works in the Finder but I think all the indexing was done by my Mac, not the QNAP. I saw lots of network activity for an hour or so, then search started working.
Can you exclude some directory/share in Qsirch and search for it from Finder? When I did that I didn't get results from blacklisted directories.
torch1
Know my way around

Post by torch1 »

- "...for all x86-based and ARM-based NAS models at least 2GB (excluding the TAS series). (at least 4GB is recommended for optimum performance)"
- "Qsirch and QTS share the same privilege settings, so users can only find the files which they are authorized to."
- Recommended Models: TS-453Be, TS-877 & TS-1685

Return to “Mac OS”