Time Machine backups work for a while then fail verification

Questions about using NAS on Mac OS.
noodles_gb
Getting the hang of things

Post by noodles_gb »

Hi all, my Time Machine backups will work for a period of time and then they will fail verification.

I can mount AFP shares just fine and the backups work without issue to an external HDD. This is the most useful error message that I get:

QNAP details:
TVS-671

All connected over wired network. I have tried to restart the Mac and the QNAP but no success.

Can someone point me towards some logs to check? I looked in the Mac console for TimeMachine events but there wasn't anything that stuck out for me.
torch1
Know my way around

Re: Time Machine backups work for a while then fail verification

Post by torch1 »

Have you tried doing TM backups using SMB instead of AFP? Works great.
https://www.qnap.com/en/how-to/tutorial ... as-via-smb
noodles_gb

Post by noodles_gb »

torch1 wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:33 pm Have you tried doing TM backups using SMB instead of AFP? Works great.
https://www.qnap.com/en/how-to/tutorial ... as-via-smb
I have just switched over to SMB so I will see how it goes, thanks.
colindean

Post by colindean »

I've got a 2012 MBA that's periodically thrown this error. It seems OK for a while and then prompts. The user will dismiss it and it'll sometimes be OK or it will sometimes randomly not backup anymore. The user realized last night that the backup hadn't functioned for two weeks! Fortunately, they checked before doing an OS upgrade…

I'll try SMB, too. Silence from me probably means that it worked.
TS-453be, 4x Seagate 6 TB in RAID5 + 2x 256 GB SSD on QM2
TS-253d, 2x Seagate 8TB in RAID1
TS-809, 4x Seagate 2 TB & 4x WD 2 TB in RAID6
Retired: TS-469L, 2x Seagate 3 TB & 2x WD 3 TB in RAID5
macOS backup with Time Machine
Windows backup with Duplicati using QNAP QuObjects S3
noodles_gb

Post by noodles_gb »

It's failed again doing it to SMB. I'm starting to give up!
torch1
Know my way around

Post by torch1 »

How are you mounting your SMB share?
smb://QNAP_IP/TM_share or smb://QNAP.local/TM_share? I recommend you do not use the ".local" format - the mDNSResponder (which is what responds to a ".local") is not reliable. Better to use either the IP address of the QNAP or its client name - the name your router knows without the "domain" part...the part after the ".".
noodles_gb

Post by noodles_gb »

torch1 wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:42 am How are you mounting your SMB share?
smb://QNAP_IP/TM_share or smb://QNAP.local/TM_share? I recommend you do not use the ".local" format - the mDNSResponder (which is what responds to a ".local") is not reliable. Better to use either the IP address of the QNAP or its client name - the name your router knows without the "domain" part...the part after the ".".
I don't seem to have an option to set up the backups to anything other but the name of the NAS. I'm not so sure name resolution is the issue, I can't see any errors in the console log relating to name resolution, it finds the backup and then just fails.
torch1
Know my way around

Post by torch1 »

Maybe your setup is different. Following the QNAP tutorial (linked above), you have to create a TM backup share on your NAS first, then in Finder you mount that TM_share using smb. Once it is mounted, you go to TM preferences, "Select disk", then select the QNAP TM backup share.
My question was how you mount the TM share in Finder...I suggest you use either smb://IP_of_NAS/TM_share or smb://name_of_NAS/TM_share....do not use ".local" at all.
anotherusername
Starting out

Post by anotherusername »

I only bought a QNAP NAS because it claimed to support Apple Time Machine. Long story short - it never ran for more than about a month before getting either a "verification required" or, less frequently "it's corrupt and we need to create a new backup" error. I tried AFP and SMB and a few other recommendations I found by Googling but the only thing that fixed it was to buy a different backup disc.
noodles_gb

Post by noodles_gb »

Mine was backing up using SMB to the IP of the QNAP for a few days, but I've now got the same verification error.
noodles_gb

Post by noodles_gb »

anotherusername wrote:I only bought a QNAP NAS because it claimed to support Apple Time Machine. Long story short - it never ran for more than about a month before getting either a "verification required" or, less frequently "it's corrupt and we need to create a new backup" error. I tried AFP and SMB and a few other recommendations I found by Googling but the only thing that fixed it was to buy a different backup disc.
As in you changed the drives in the QNAP or you’re using another backup target altogether?
anotherusername
Starting out

Post by anotherusername »

@noodles - as in I bought an Apple Time Capsule. It works perfectly with access times and read/write speeds which are orders of magnitude greater than the QNAP and it acts as a wireless extender too.
noodles_gb

Post by noodles_gb »

I think I have managed to work it out. I initially tried the SMB guide with limited success. I'm confident that method would work well however I can't find the quota option per user that used to be there. Also, Time Machine seemingly refused to connect to this share with anything other than the admin user. Anyway, I enabled the Time Machine service again, ignored it setting the lowest SMB setting to 2.1 and set it manually to 3 after it was enabled. I then disabled AFP under Bonjour and so far things are working much better. I wrote a blog about it here.

Return to “Mac OS”