QNAP NAS Thunderbolt Connection Disappears After Waking my Mac Pro From Sleep

Questions about using NAS on Mac OS.
hello2hello
New here

Re: QNAP NAS Thunderbolt Connection Disappears After Waking my Mac Pro From Sleep

Post by hello2hello »

MacOS Version 11.4 Beta (20F5055c) has solved the T2E connection issues. Please try the latest beta version.
Bengaldad
Starting out

Re: QNAP NAS Thunderbolt Connection Disappears After Waking my Mac Pro From Sleep

Post by Bengaldad »

Thank you! When the release version of 11.4 appears, I’ll install it on my two Macs. Both are used in production video so I do not want to install beta software on them.

Tom
asrikrishnan
First post

Post by asrikrishnan »

I am having this issue now with my M1 Mac mini which is on Monterey beta (OS 12.0 Beta8). I am connected to my x672XT QNAP NAS via TB3 from the M1 Mac mini to the NAS and when I initially reboot the NAS it recognizes and holds onto the connection and I am able to backup and access my files over TB3. After it goes to sleep it disconnects and I am no longer able to access the NAS over TB3. I even tried the scripts to restart thunderbolt but it didn't work. Only thing that works is rebooting the NAS which is so painful.

Any thoughts?
Magnetize
New here

Post by Magnetize »

I am also having the same issue where my Thunderbolt connection no longer resumes after waking up from sleep. I am currently on Big Sur and using firmware 4.5.4.1800 on a TVS-872XT. By logging into QNAP's web interface -> Control Panel -> Network & Virtual Switch, you will note that the thunderbolt port visually does not turn green when waking up from sleep. It's as if QNAP does not detect any connection. Another observation is that when my iMac goes to sleep, previously (when all was working well) I used to get an audio notification from QNAP NAS that my Thunderbolt was being disconnected. Upon wake up, I used to get an audio notification from QNAP NAS that my Thunderbolt connection was connected. Now, I don't get audio connection either when it sleeps or wakes.

A final observation is that when things are working (after a reboot of QNAP NAS) and then you log onto your QNAP device (i.e. SSH) and attempt to stop the Thunderbolt interface, it shuts down, but is unable to restart. This tells me that the issue is likely due to the last one or two QNAP firmware releases. This was previously working in Firmware 4.5.3.1697 and Firmware 4.5.2.1630. I'm not certain what to try next, but I'm leaning on giving up on the QNAP Thunderbolt interface and unfortunately move to the slower 10G network port. Not very happy with QNAP at this point, their Thunderbolt interface has been real pain over the last year but at least we had a solid workaround in prior firmware releases.
galosu82
Starting out

Post by galosu82 »

Same issue here (MacBook Pro Intel 16" + macOS 11.6 + QNAP TVS-672XT). I had to downgrade the NAS firmware to the previous version.
robert_m_muench
Getting the hang of things

Post by robert_m_muench »

Same here as described by Magnetize, the Thunderbolt interfacing is a lucky lottery. With some macOS / QNAP firmware combinations it works, and then you do an update, and it fails. Don't understand what's so hard about to get this stuff stable. It's super annoying. I think it's up to QNAP to fix it again.

I'm on 11.6 with a TVS-1282T3. If the connection works, it is superfast. Thinking about switching to 10G as well... and accepting the slowdown.
TVS-1282T3
CPU: Intel Core i7-7700 CPU @ 3.60GHz
Memory: 64 GB
2 x Samsung SSD 850 EVO M.2 1TB (M.2 SATA)
2 x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 2TB (SATA)
4 x WDC WD6002FFWX-68TZ4N0 (SATA) (6TB)
4 x Seagate ST12000VN0007-2GS116 (SATA) (12TB)
galosu82
Starting out

Post by galosu82 »

robert_m_muench wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:16 pm Same here as described by Magnetize, the Thunderbolt interfacing is a lucky lottery. With some macOS / QNAP firmware combinations it works, and then you do an update, and it fails. Don't understand what's so hard about to get this stuff stable. It's super annoying. I think it's up to QNAP to fix it again.

I'm on 11.6 with a TVS-1282T3. If the connection works, it is superfast. Thinking about switching to 10G as well... and accepting the slowdown.
Here you can find some tests I did connecting to my NAS thru TB3 and 10GbE: viewtopic.php?p=799973#p799973

Given the terrible status of the TB3 interface development (from the QNAP side), 10GbE is definitely a much better option (but much more expensive).

Return to “Mac OS”