QNAP NAS Thunderbolt Connection Disappears After Waking my Mac Pro From Sleep

Questions about using NAS on Mac OS.
Bengaldad
Starting out

QNAP NAS Thunderbolt Connection Disappears After Waking my Mac Pro From Sleep

Post by Bengaldad »

I have a QNAP NAS (TVS-872XT) with a direct Thunderbolt 3 connection and an ethernet connection to my Mac Pro 7.1. When I boot the. Mac Pro the NAS connects via Thunderbolt, shows a Thunderbolt connection in Finder, and all is well. However, when I put the Mac Pro to sleep and later wake it up, the NAS has disappeared with only the ethernet connection working and showing in Finder. I can find no way of reconnecting to the much faster Thunderbolt connection without rebooting the Mac Pro. This issue arose only after installing Big Sur.
Does anyone have a solution to this problem that will allow me to retain the Thunderbolt NAS in the finder and reconnect by double clicking on it.?
Thank you in advance for responding.
Tom
Bengaldad
Starting out

Re: QNAP NAS Thunderbolt Connection Disappears After Waking my Mac Pro From Sleep

Post by Bengaldad »

I notice that there are 53 views of this, but no replies. Can anyone tell me if they are experiencing the loss of the Thunderbolt connection when a QNAP NAS is attached via Thunderbolt to a Mac running Big Sur? I have Big Sur installed on both my Mac Pro 7.1 and an iMac Pro and both are attached to my QNAP TVS-872XT NAS via Thunderbolt 3. The Thunderbolt connection is lost on both Macs after waking from sleep. Rebooting both of them restores the Thunderbolt connection to the Mac.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: QNAP NAS Thunderbolt Connection Disappears After Waking my Mac Pro From Sleep

Post by dolbyman »

if there is no replies, I guess nobody has the same issue

so opening a ticket with qnap support is a good idea
Bengaldad
Starting out

Post by Bengaldad »

I have already opened a ticket with QNAP Support. They responded that this was a known problem with MacOS and Apple would have to fix it.
bluzdoctor
New here

Post by bluzdoctor »

I don't have your issue, but on my iMac I just bought a QNAP NAS TVS475XT and I cannot connect to it using Thunderbolt 3. I can connect with ethernet, and can connect with Thunderbolt to my MacBook Pro, but not with the iMac running the latest version of Catalina. I have been awaiting chat with QNAP forever, and have a ticket since yesterday, but no response. I am really frustrated with this issue.
"That's just your opinion, man." - The Dude
Bengaldad
Starting out

Post by Bengaldad »

I can empathize with your frustration. I have been working for the last two days with an Enterprise Level Support Person at Apple. He has collected lots of data on my Mac Pro and has turned it over to Apple engineers who are supposed to get back to me after they have examined the data.
bdevries
New here

Post by bdevries »

I have the same issue. Rebooting Mac (Big Sur) brings back the connection, until the Mac goes to sleep. I've heard of some people using a thunderbolt 3 dock that essential stays on all the time so the connection doesn't time out as a work around. I hope Apple/Qnap figures this out. I haven't heard of issues with OWC Thunderbay having these issues, so is difficult to understand where the issue is coming from.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

That Thunderbay device is a DAS, the QNAP is a NAS (IP over TB) .. so the device class differs completly here
Bengaldad
Starting out

Post by Bengaldad »

My QNAP TVS-872XT NAS is both direct attached storage (DAS) and a traditional NAS server connecting via I.P. The TVS-872XT connects to my Mac Pro 7.1 via both a Thunderbolt 3 cable and an ethernet connection. When the Thunderbolt connection to the NAS is lost upon waking the Mac Pro from sleep, the ethernet connection is still active and functioning correctly although at much slower speed because I have only a 1 Gb/sec ethernet connection. Via the Thunderbolt connection the TVS-872XT (configured as a Raid 5 system with 8 eight 10 TB Seagate Ironwolf HD's} gives read write speeds of 1350/1000 Mb/sec.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

No the QNAP NAS units are always IP over TB, a NAS cannot be a DAS
Bengaldad
Starting out

Post by Bengaldad »

Fine. The semantics of whether the TVS-872XT is DAS or Thunderbolt over I.P. does not really address the issue that produced my original post and that I am trying to resolve with Apple.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

No, but if Apple and QNAP say it's a known problem .. not much to talk about then (in terms of fixing it)
Bengaldad
Starting out

Post by Bengaldad »

Apple has not yet admitted that it is a known problem. QNAP has said that it is a known problem, but I would counter that by stating that until I installed Big Sur on my Mac Pro, my QNAP TVS-872XT did not drop the thunderbolt connection upon wake from sleep. This is a problem introduced in Big Sur and that is why Apple engineers have asked for and received complete diagnostics on my system and are looking into the problem.
ricoba
New here

Post by ricoba »

I have the same problem since upgrading my iMac Pro to Big Sur, never have such problem in Catalina. I am using thunderbolt 3 connection from x872XT to iMac Pro. Now I have to use 10GE connection to QNAP instead.
Bengaldad
Starting out

Post by Bengaldad »

Well before the holidays I contacted Apple Enterprise Level support. They collected diagnostic data on my Mac Pro and told me that Apple was opening an investigation of this problem. In the last response iI was told that the best hope of solving this issue would be in an update to Big Sur. I am still waiting for that update.

On the Macrumors Big Sur Forum there is a thread on this issue. One person who contacted QNAP Support indicated that they were working to resolve the problem, but that thread is still open with no reported resolution of the issue.

Return to “Mac OS”